1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fun problems! Cuts out randomly but not when hot hard to restart

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by matthew fitzpatrick, Sep 6, 2016.

1. matthew fitzpatrick

matthew fitzpatrick Member

So here we go , just got m!y 83 xj 650 maxim back on the road haven't adjusted the carbs etc so here's thw issue start It from cold engine runs fine then start to ride 1st gear 5k rpm change to 2nd 5k rpm change to 3rd 2.5k rpm now sitting at between 30-37mph and give it a couple of mins cuts out like someone hit the kill switch then drop the clutch try to bump start nothing drop into 2nd while rolling nothing pull over press starter button half the time it works other half it doesn't when it does it catches goes to start twist the throttle cuts off is a pain to start again , when it doesn't start I wiggle wiring e,I switch gear battery etc then it will randomly work , after the 3-5th time of doing this is runs fine when its hot but does bog out now and then , now I keep thinking kill switch handle bar switch clutch kill switch coils pick ups and also running to rich but that doesn't explain why of randomly cuts out at all times all lights work oil light works neutral light indicators horn eTC so
    ...... Am I correct thinkimg poor earth , carb problems or am I miles away please help

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Your carbs need to be taken to church and given a full sermon...valve check and adjustment should be at the top adjenda .How old is the battery? Is it fully serviced.Look at the battery leads and start relay for corrosion and security. These are the things that I would do.

Stumplifter likes this.
  3. matthew fitzpatrick

Battery is brand new as are leads starter soleniod is new carbs havent been stripped set up for k&ns but now running airbox again will check the valves but you reckon its a fueling issue rather than electrical ? Cause thats where im at with it but so many things to check

4. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

check ALL you wiring connections (special attention to grounds) for tightness and cleanliness.

Speaking of clean, do as Jetfixer said, go to Church (and valves).

5. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Start by checking your fuse box. You may have the common problem of corroded fuse clips making intermittent contact. I had my bike completely die twice at intersections. Starter would not turn over, nothing. Waiting a few minutes it would start again. It also sometimes would cut in and out when I hit a bump from the vibrations.

When I touched the ignition fuse, it literally fell out and the contact clips literally fell off the bike. Also turned out main fuse holder intermittent as well, hence periodic complete "silence."

Finally put in new fuse holders for all circuits...no more problems.

6. matthew fitzpatrick

Tis sorted now I don't know how or why but yeah haha as for the fuse box etc bikes custom mate its already been done its no longer standard

7. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Your bike fixes itself?

8. DrewUth

DrewUth Active Member

Your initial description of the problem(s) is very unclear. When it cuts out, does the electrical system cut out as well or just the engine? If just the engine, take a look at your fuel cap for proper venting.

9. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Lights still on when this happens? Could be a failing TCI. Had that happen with my 750. If you can, borrow a spare from someone and swap it in to see if the problem goes away.

If so, the capacitors could be in need of replacing. Had this happen with my 750.

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Side stand switch. Clean and lube it.

11. matthew fitzpatrick

Kinda haha no the fuse box was changed years ago mate
    I have a spare tci from a 750 maxim so I'll put that on see if that does anything

12. matthew fitzpatrick

It just cuts out refuses to start for a few mins no response from pushing the button the a few mins later skill fire up but runs ok when its hot

13. matthew fitzpatrick

I do have a small oil leak that's dripping onto the side stand switch but still again my logic is why wouldn't this effect it when its hot ?

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Because the switch warms up from the radiant heat and can then move freely.
    I'm not saying that it's the only cause, but it is a simple thing to check and eliminate from the list of possible causes. Low hanging fruit.

15. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Ah. With a failing TCI, the engine would crank but not fire. It was also not temperature sensitive.

I think K-Moe has the right of it -- look at the sidestand switch and its connectors.