1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

You are proly right, I just cant dedicate that much time explaining and all the photos.
    But I did find out and photo the differences in the inside the 550 and 600 motors.
    Shift drum bolts up different and other things.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Nothing. I was going to ride since it's been warm, but I was running late for work.
    Good thing too. Winds came up to a steady 40 MPH before noon, and then the range fires started popping up. Several towns were evacuated (including part of the city I live in).
    Not a good day for riding after all.

3. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

Went to harbor freight bought a couple of those cheap -ss buffing wheels to start polishing on the exhaust. Ended up working on the valve cover sprayed another coat of clear coat placed v/cover on mantle to dry.
    Worked on making the wet set-set up. Still waiting for the wrist Pins and piston rings. At least by not having the parts that I need I am taking my time with the carbs and various other items that need attention.
    Trying to get my air box joints (1) back in a round shape as of now it is slightly out of round.
    At least today is my Friday!! got the next couple of days to work on my bike :)
    instead of snowing know it is raining- Have to remember rain keeps everything green and the surrounding lakes full!!!!

k-moe likes this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Yes. Keep remembering that. You do not want to be in that basin when there are forest fires on both sides. It really, really sucks; BTDT.

5. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I moved mine today. Finally getting around to finishing my garage (insulation, lights, and drywall) after starting four years ago. Needed some space so the bike and a few other large items got moved. I got all excited today when weather.com said it would be 68 tomorrow, then I realized it was showing weather for Washington DC and not Cleveland. Damn.

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I just got home from picking up the title ..... The Prodigal has returned :)

7. dowski68

Here it is my Saturday, got the normal errands to run haircut, pay a few bills, and school. However I did manage to get two mason jars and a quart of Transmission fluid-going to finish up the vacuum manometer.
    Hopefully will be able to do the wet set this afternoon.
    Question-
    If I set my fuel tank above the carbs so that the carbs are gravity feed. by this I mean turning the fuel petcock to prime.
    then what?
    will all four of the fuel bowls fill so that I can do the clear hose and check that the fuel level is where it is supposed to be?
    I would think that I am going to need to turn off the fuel once the carbs are full.
    Ah endless questions-
    Think I gonna need to reread a few articles to make sure I didn't miss anything :rolleyes:

8. dowski68

Just got off the phone with Yamaha Parts Monster and they said that I should have my wrist pins and rings by Wednesday of next week!:D

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

leave the petcock on prime

read this how to

Setting the fuel levels

Mikuni BS33 (all 700-X and 750-X watercooled): -Fuel level measured via the clear-tube gauge: 3mm +/- 1mm (.12 +/- .04 inches)

Stumplifter likes this.
  10. dowski68

Thanks for the information, I just happened to print it off about an hour ago. Hope things go well for my first attempt. Decided to double check the top half of the carbs and look what I found- Well the pic shows a divot right next to were the rubber (baby bumper) for the slides resides. From what I can see it is even with the rubber seal :(
    Any suggestions on how to fix?
    thinking of a very small dab of epoxy or JB weld any thoughts?

Attached Files:

11. dowski68

Valve cover all most done another fine sanding and final coat of clear.

Attached Files:

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  12. XJ550H

if you choose too repair the divot use jb weld gas tank repair epoxy make it smooth and flush
    or there is an aluminum kind of glue out there alum fast

nice job on the valve covers

13. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

Love those valve covers, they look like cassette tapes.

14. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

I gently touched the clutch side handle bar and turned the front wheel, someone had parked the Leyland too close to her and I was 'squeezing' through to get at stuff (Quonset Tetris doncha know).

No eye contact was made - high of 18F today with no warming trend in the near future, sand still on roads - she (and I ) must wait . . . .

15. hogfiddles

Looks awesome

16. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Jeezus, @Stumplifter your posts sound like erotic fiction... Fifty Shades of XJ!

XJ550H and Stumplifter like this.
  17. dowski68

Thanksfor t
    Thanks for the tip about the aluminum JB weld I've got a few errands to run this morning so I will stop by the auto parts store and see what is available.
    Painting the engine and the valve cover has been a good learning experience for me, made a few mistakes here and there yet over all I am looking forward to doing the front fender and the rear maybe this year or next.
    Trying to focus on the mechanics of the bike-
    Things I need to do-after I get here up and running like she deserves to be. :)
    Front fork seals and the head set are next-

18. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

You gotta understand :mad: . . . she isn't like those other bikes. :rolleyes:

She is more than shiny chrome and spinning wheels. She comforts me and understands my needs when I twist her throttle. We move as one as we lean into the turns, again I slowly, almost in a calibrated manner continue to roll her throttle through the turn, we lean more, we grab and start to straighten out of the turn, both of us feeling the straight away calling our names then we get barbaric and hit that power band range, hanging on, breath gasping, flashing forward, grinning and laughing together as kindred spirits. Our connection isn't like Owner's - oh no we go beyond that we are Rider and Ride; Mechanic and Steel Steed; we are like bacon wrapped in bacon, our cups overfloweth with joy (but not our carb bowls)!

Yes she moves me and I in turn care for her with loving attention to her needs and occasionally fart on her seat.

Where is Spring? This winter seems never ending . . . .

XJ550H likes this.
  19. XJ550H

riding is on the erotic side... dressed in leather you gently choke........ she sparks to life as you gently press her button and twist.......

bringing her to close to redline her exhaust screams as you squeeze the clutch shift gears

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    dowski68, chacal and Stumplifter like this.
  20. hogfiddles

The two shall become one--I now pronounce you 'Man and .........

Stumplifter likes this.