1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1991 Yamaha XJ 900f

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Franz, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Hi XJ owners

I was working om my bike this morning and one of the pistons in seized in the rear caliper so I ordered new seals. Hopefully the pistons will be free of damage and it is just a case of cleaning everything up and replacing the seals. What is the best way to get the pistons out of their bores?

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Grease gun on bleed nipple and bolt in brake line hole should push it out easily. Use a clamp on one that moves first and the stuck one will move . Switch back and forth until they come out

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Cheers Toomanybikes I managed to get the free one out with a foot pump but I will try the grease gun and bolt as I have temporary replaced the moving piston.

4. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

compressed air do wonders too, but one should be careful not to apply too much pressure, the piston can pop out like a bullet

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes quebecois59 I got the first one out with a foot pump. Got both of them out now there was no fluid loss before I removed them but as it is going for an MOT I did not want to have a seized piston in the caliper.

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

If anyone is fitting new exhaust gaskets the side that has the joint must face the header pipes otherwise the gasses from the ports can open up the joint in the gasket.