1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Speedometer is off - is it the tire size?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Niels Keiser Jacobsen, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Niels Keiser Jacobsen

Niels Keiser Jacobsen New Member

Hi all.

I am new to motorcycles, and I fell in love with a lovely xj650 (UK version), and have now been riding for about a week.
    I'm from Denmark, so I'm a bit weak in the inch, miles etc. system, so please bare with me.

The previous owner told me, that the speedometer is showing 10mk/t (6,21mph) too low, so when I'm riding 50kmt (31mph), it only shows 40km/t (25mph).

The original front tire size is 3.25H19-4pr, which I understand is about 82, in tire with.

The new front tire is a 100/90-19, which people seem to say is the correct modern tire size for the bike.
    Doesn't that affect the speedo?

I have used a webpage to look up speedo conversions, where I filled in the specs for the original 3.25 tire, assuming that the aspect ratio is 90 (but is it?), then I got the data as shown in the picture.
    Skærmbillede 2017-04-24 kl. 09.32.11.png

As the picture indicates, the speedometer readings are increasingly off, the faster the wheel turns (which makes sense).
    So my question is: Does everybody sporting a new 100/90-19 tire have the same readings, or does my problem lie somewhere else?

Many thanks

2. Niels Keiser Jacobsen

woops.. I noticed that I needed the diameter of the tire, and the width, and not width and aspect ratio.
    The new data says:

Skærmbillede 2017-04-24 kl. 09.52.45.png

So this indicates that it doesn't really make that much of a difference changing to a 100/90-19 tire?
    So my speedometer problem is supposedly originating somewhere else?

3. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

Is your speedometer original to the bike? Generally speaking, I have heard that the stock speedometer/tire combination is "optimistic" (the speedometer actually reads higher than you are actually going.) That is my experience with the stock configuration.

Niels Keiser Jacobsen likes this.
  4. Niels Keiser Jacobsen

I am quite sure that the speedo is original.
    Yes I am aware that the speedo's normally reads a little higher, but if it reads 10km/t higher at such low speeds, then I am a bit unsure about how it reads at higher speeds. But I have to go out with a gps to measure it correctly.

It just confuses me, that it can be that much off, if the tires are supposed to match. :)

5. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

I think the smaller diameter tire should actually make the speedometer read higher than it normally does. I would think this might indicate something is wrong with the speedometer or the magnet maybe? If wait on one of the more knowledgeable members to weigh in though.

I might check out this thread.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

have no problem with the speedo accuracy. I test it when ever I see a radar box and it seams to be very accurate at all speeds

7. Niels Keiser Jacobsen

ah, I didn't think about locating a radar box, and test it there. I should try that!
    It's just a bit unnerving to know that the previous owner said "btw. it reads about 10km/t lower than the actual speed at around 50km/t" :p

8. Greggy

Greggy Member

You can get a app for phone's that's a GPS speedometer you can try that, that's what I use on my bike

9. Niels Keiser Jacobsen

So your Speedo is off as well?

10. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

My XJ550 speedo is spot on when I see a radar box.

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The greatest issue with a spedometer that age is the magnet being slowly de-magentized (it's just the nature of that type of magnet). This will result in less drag on the speedometer needle cup, and an innacurate speedometer. Some demagnetize at a faster rate than others, and not all speedometers were terribly accurate to begin with (there is variation even from the same manufacturing lot). There is a DYI method for re-calibrating them, but it's fiddly and time consuming. There are several shops that offer the service (though you'll have to do a search as all my contacts are in the U.S.). Or you can take a shortcut and make labels to stick on the glass and "recalibrate" the speedometer.

12. Greggy

Greggy Member

When I bought my bike there was no speedometer, tach or horn so I got a phone holder that goes on the handle bars and a speedometer app for my phone, it works good and a horn, I can do without the tachometer

13. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

My speedometer shows about 6 mph slower than I'm actually going at around 65 mph. It's dead on up until about 35 mph and then it starts to lag behind more and more as I go faster.

14. vashtsdaytona

vashtsdaytona Active Member

for me I have a mounted GPS and compare my speed often, for simplicity sake, mine reads 10miles SLOW. so an indicated 60 is 70

15. Niels Keiser Jacobsen

Update!
    Thanks for all the replies!

I have been riding some longer trips, including a lot of highway, and it seems to me, that my speedometer reads 10km/h constantly, so that I just have to add 10km/h to the speedometer-reading.

So it seems to me, that it's not worth the hassle, to fix it :)
    Unless I start to get speeding-tickets - because that can of course only be because of the speedo's misreading ;) (*joke)

TheCrazyGnat and Stumplifter like this.
  16. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

If you have time to look at your speedo then you are not going fast enough.

BigT likes this.
  17. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Someone from the county will be by shortly to let you know if you're going too fast ;)

Paul Howells likes this.