1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New rider

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Alex Rodriguez, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Alex Rodriguez

Alex Rodriguez Member

I can't tell if piston is moving caliper is on the wheel and brakes are installed and the handle doesn't feel bad it's not loose but it's not lock the wheels up tight

2. Alex Rodriguez

Alex Rodriguez Member

When I squeeze the handle the cylinder moves out but when I let go it comes back in

Is there a vent that might be clogged?

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It's supposed to do that.

When you had the caliper apart, did you clean and polish the sliding pins (these get grease) and the brake pad retaining pin (no grease), along with the steel shims that the two caliper halves ride on?

4. Alex Rodriguez

Alex Rodriguez Member

Haha yea that was a dumb thing to say yes I did lube those pins
    What I meant was unlike a car where you pump the pedal until it gets to the rotor this is just like stuck it won't continue to go any more

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

There's still air in the lines. Tie the brake lever back against the bar and do the following.

9. You aren't done yet. There will still be some air in the system. The next step cures that, no matter what method you use to fill and bleed the system.

10. Use a vibratory sander (no sanding pad) and slowly run it along the brake lines, calipers, and distribution block from bottom to top. This will move any remaining air bubbles up into the master cylinder. Tap (or vibrate) the master cylinder to get the air bubbles to come out of the return hole. This process can also be done with a box-end wrench or other simmilar tool, and tapping the calipers and lines (it just takes longer).

11. Do one final bleed normally, just to be certain that the calipers are fully bled.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

+1^^^ If she is not moving out and you have no or very little handle feedback then you have air in there. It is a closed system so had to be air in the line still getting compressed. It takes a while but the method above will work very well. You almost have it.

7. Greggy

Greggy Member

Had the same problem with my bike, tried bleeding it a bunch of times and could not get it for the life of me, so I went to harbor freight and bought a vacuum hand pump and that worked the first time and it didn't cost to much

Alex Rodriguez likes this.
  8. Alex Rodriguez

Alex Rodriguez Member

Thanks for all the help guys finally got it to bleed now on to the next project:)

9. Alex Rodriguez

Alex Rodriguez Member

Well here goes again so I have noticed my speedometer was loose and come to find out someone broke one of the bolts of so I tried working on the other one with the expectations it was gonna break and what do you know it did. So question is what's the best plan of attack to get these bolts out

10. Alex Rodriguez

Alex Rodriguez Member

11. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Mine did the same thing. I tried extractors but they broke off in the bolts. I ended up buying a good used bracket to replace mine.

12. Alex Rodriguez

Alex Rodriguez Member

I actually got them drilled out took some time and patience and snap on owes me a new set of drills but it's done

13. Alex Rodriguez

Alex Rodriguez Member

Another question when I go to start my bike it will only start full choke and after its start it quickly starts to raise rpm stays at 4 or 5k. After driving for a little of I pull the clutch in it also starts to raise rpm any ideas?

14. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Your carbs are not in synch or you have a vacuum leak , this is why you have a hanging idle , have you tried backing idle knob off ? What condition are your boots in ?

15. Alex Rodriguez

Alex Rodriguez Member

I have t tried backing the idle knob off yet and the boots have some cracks in them. I was also wondering I drive it for like five minutes the other day and luckily at the end of my ride the bike won't stay running with the choke open and with the choke closed it's starts reving up high same thing or no?

16. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Still this ^^^^