1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How are the blinkers supposed to work?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by AustenSontag, Jun 7, 2017.

1. AustenSontag

AustenSontag New Member

Pretty much the title, I just bought my first bike. 17 yo, milwaukee WI. Are you supposes to hold the turn signal switch down for then to work? They dont stay on if I let go of the switch. Also the turn signals dont flash if im going like 10 mph or under. Im going to swap led signals brake light and get a new relay this friday.

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i wish mine did that.........but anyhow, open up the housing and spray it down with brake cleaner, then when things start moving freely spray some LPS1 or some kind of oil in there, WD40 is bad, it turns to goo after a while. hold off on the blinker relay until you get the bulbs to blink, LED'S need a different blinker

Stumplifter likes this.
  3. AustenSontag

AustenSontag New Member

Thanks, have any idea why the blinkers stop flashing when im stopped or going slow?

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

low voltage, could be the battery is tired or the brushes in the alternator aren't up to snuff. check the battery voltage after the bike sets for a while, then as your starting it, then at idle, then at 3,000 rpm. them we know the whole story

k-moe and Stumplifter like this.
  5. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Austen, what bike do you have?

Besides the cleaning inside the housing as Polock mentioned, go ahead and clean, die electric grease and re-tighten your ground connections. And if you are really adventurous get inside the headlight, under the seat and side covers and clean up those connections also . . . Why wouldn't ya? Right? 30+ years old.

You can learn ALOT here and find that you can be your best mechanic also.
    A good local resource for you is The Shop in Bay View, Tim and company know old Jap bikes and are connected to the vintage bike community.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

replace bulbs with 27 watt bulbs clean bulb sockets with electric spray cleaner and use bulb grease.

the "lead" contact spots on the bulbs wear and get loose

clean controled as recomended.
    blinkers work by switching to side you want to blink and release lever. to stop blinkers press button in. self cancler will shut them off after time and distance.

you should also clean the other controler while you are at it.

correct and good bulbs make all the differance.

^^ this as well
    check battery voltage should be 12.6 volts with bike off. check acid level and fill with distilled water ONLY. charge battery.

this link will give you all the battery testing and alternator testing info as well as possible problems with the charging system. info is near bottom
    The Ultimate Relay, Switch, Sensor, and Diodes Guide

battery should read
    14.2 - 14.8 Volts at about 2,000 rpms for all non-X models.
    do all the voltage tests and write it down for future referance

7. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

As stated above, and in my experience, solid "on" with no flash at low speed happens from a low battery or smaller than 27w bulbs.

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I may be underthinking this, but...

[​IMG]

Also, do all the stuff they said above.

Lightcs1776, Polock, BigT and 3 others like this.
  9. AustenSontag

AustenSontag New Member

Thanks for that, ill have to look into when im stumped. Its a 82 xj550.

10. XJ550H

Seca or Maxim?

11. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

After all that cleaning which is a great suggestion if you are still having the same issue try disconnecting the self cancelling unit. When you hold the switch left or right a ground is applied to the self cancelling unit that removes the command to disable the flasher relay. Could be the self cancelling unit has failed and initiates this command as soon as ground is removed rather that waiting for the auto cancel from accumulated distance.

12. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

This^

13. AustenSontag

AustenSontag New Member

I got a new led relay in tbw mail along with new led front turn signals and tail light that has the function on one side to blink for a turn signal. It has 5 wires, amd i cant get the turn signal functions to work. (The relay fixed tbe issues of my erratic turn signal issues) if i plug in the left side signal it will flash when actuvated but as soon as i plug in the right and hit that function both sides flash. It works without the left plugged in though.

14. XJ550H

seca or maxim??
    Maxim grounds the directional indicator through the unused blinker bulb.

there is a thread on led conversions you need to read that now that you have gone to leds

if you went to led indicators you need bidirectional leds (maxim) and make sure they are in the proper direction for the seca

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  15. AustenSontag

AustenSontag New Member

Maxim, honestly im just going to order 2 seperate signals for the rear. I know they work for sure and will be a direct swap and less headache from the way the wires are already laid out.

16. XJ550H

led or stock signals?

wiring for signals see the diodes you have to add to indicator bulb unless you use a bidirectional diode led for indicator

below drawings is for installing an led indicator bulb in cluster
    003.JPG 001.JPG

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  17. AustenSontag

AustenSontag New Member

I have absolutly 0 idead what any of that means lol. Aftermarket though I have them and pluged them in and they work so im just going to use them and not mess with any of it.

18. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The question and answer was basically which bulb are you going with - LED or standard? If LED, then you would need to add the diodes or change the indicator bulb to a bi-directional LED to keep the turn signals from acting as a hazard warning with all four flashing. So, are the aftermarket indicators using LED's or a standard bulb?

If by erratic you mean you no longer have to hold the switch to keep them flashing then that is good evidence that your original problem was the auto cancelling assembly. You will have to give up that feature with an aftermarket relay unless you want to add another relay to perform that function. Did you ever try unplugging it to see if it corrected your original problem of having to hold the switch?

upload_2017-6-15_9-14-20.png

Stumplifter likes this.
  19. AustenSontag

AustenSontag New Member

I have all led turn signals and brake lights and a new led relay. They seem to work instantly and fast and they stay on without me having to hold the switch. I think it was the battery, they would be solid under 2k rpms at a light but if i reved the bike they would begin flashing. The bike currently isnt runninf bevause i broke the clutch bolts and am waitng for a new one in then mail. I hipe all is good now.