1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Very First Bike, 82 XJ SECA

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Keats Ross, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Keats Ross

Keats Ross New Member

motorcycle.jpg

Let me just say, honored to finally be a motorcycle owner and be apart of your forum!

I just bought an 82 XJ7 Seca (That's what the title says but I've had a hard time locating an 'XJ7') for dirt cheap as a project bike. I wanted to learn from the ground up and learn the machine itself before driving it!

What an 80's beast... I'd like to learn to customize a littler after I fix the major issues:

It does run, however, the battery needs to be replaced...found some on EBAY motors for cheap ($30) unless y'all know of a better retailer!

Thing is, the front brake needs work, when clutched nothing happens to the brake... which is totally scary and very happy I didn't attempt to take a spin.

Also, the carburetor has a leaky carb. I was told by my bike-savvy friend that instead of repairing the carb I should just replace it to bring new life into this beast... is this too difficult for a novice? And how much would a new carb cost me?

I believe that's all of the major issues. As previously mentioned, it did work when plugged to an external battery and using the gas reserve. It howled, even.

In the far future I'd like to change the handlebars to more of the cafe style and give it some cosmetic touchups... but I won't get ahead of myself!

Thanks XJ's! Looking forward to being apart of the pack - any advice for this summer project would be much appreciated!

-keats motorcycle.jpg

Alan63 likes this.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Hello.

You have an XJ750 Seca, which was the high-end model at the time.

XJ4Ever is the go-to supplier of the corect pats, and impecable customer service. THe catalog is in the upper right hand corner of every page. Staring a converation with Chacal is the easiest way to order.

I suggest that you keep her parked until the brake system is fully rebuilt (including new brake lines. (braided Stainless preferred)).

Begin by reading the links in my signature, and maybe even do some digging in the DYI section.

Carbs are involved, but fairly easy to do (or send out. A few members rebuild carbs at reasonable prices). You won't need new ones (there's not many choices for that anyway, and they are all expensive).

The method for carb resurrection
    IN THE CHURCH OF CLEAN

Lightcs1776 and Keats Ross like this.
  3. Keats Ross

Keats Ross New Member

You are a gentleman and a scholar, sir!

4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, as kmoe stated safety first you will find the Secas master cylinder is a bit hard to access easier if you remove headlight bolts and pull it out a little ( no wiring to disconnect) I recommend you study xj4evers catalog pull apart calipers use a grease gun with hose threaded in where brake line connects pump till piston comes out clean out grease. Replace seals there are 2 seals per caliper. Inspect piston as long as it is not pitted or galled you can put it back togheter. Put a little silicone grease on seals and push piston back in. Put new brake line on for the Seca you need 4 got mine from xj4ever not cheap but soo cool. Now as to your carbs rebuild them take them to the church of clean ( this is a full tear down replace ALL seals shaft seals gaskets fuel rail O rings again all from xj4ever ) please note what you see on eBay are not complete seals.Expect to spend 200 to 300$ but once done you will be real happy . Now my disclaimer and MY opinion resist putting pods on keep stock airbox at least until you get it running right. The airbox if it still fitted has a 10mm bolt on top if you pull tank you will see it remove it,loosen clamps on airbox boots push them into the airbox , push airbox towards rear . Loosen intake clamps and disconnect choke and throttle cable. Take a hammer handle and gently pry carbs out of boots spray with silicone helps pull cabs out. Then the fun begins. Sorry not trying to overload you been working on bike for many years . Good luck and keep us up to date with your project and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Keats Ross likes this.
  5. mrdawson

mrdawson Active Member

listen to K-moe.
    Everything on the bike needs to be gone through. Not just what you think is broken / wrong with it. If you try to just spot fix issues, you'll chase your tail for years. Go through everything system by system and it'll ensure it all works right and is safe.

Keats Ross likes this.
  6. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Welcome to the camp Keats!
    This is a good group. Click that first link in Kmoe' signature, read it, do it. Ask questions after you read that (and read it again). It is a most excellent informative article that sheds a beacon on what lies ahead. As Jet mentioned $200-300 for the carb rebuild, plus easily double that for other needed accoutrements.

Your primary goal should be to make the bike safe and reliable first, then bling it out all you want.

Keats Ross likes this.
  7. Stumplifter

Oh and for the love of everything holy - take an MSF course.

8. k-moe

And get a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough.

Keats Ross likes this.
  9. Keats Ross

Keats Ross New Member

Thanks so much!

10. Keats Ross

Keats Ross New Member

You guys are great! Excited to get started. I wanted to truly learn the mechanics and you guys are invaluable resource. Thanks again!

11. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

I was in a similar position last June, spent 6 weeks refurbishing various parts of my bike, then took the MSF class and got my license. I can't recommend that class enough. I've ridden over 2K miles since then and can't wait to get out again today! Best of luck, Keats.

12. Keats Ross

Keats Ross New Member

Awesome. Did you have similar issues? Technical experience?

13. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

This probably answers your question in part: http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/showcase/xj550rh.47/
    There's a vast wealth of knowledge on this site. If you don't find the information you need among the catalog pages Chacal maintains, or previous posts, the people here are ready to answer questions. Never go forward without information because it's so easy to get!

Keats Ross likes this.
  14. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

I bought my XJ at the end of last season. I've spent this spring cleaning, rebuilding, and replacing various things. I'm good with my hands, but I've never worked on even a lawn mower engine before digging into my bike. With the help of this group, I've been amazed at what I've done. The best advice I can give is ... don't skip any steps; you'll only end up having to do it twice.

15. Keats Ross

Keats Ross New Member

This is absolutely reassuring. I'm coming from the same place! So the best place to begin is to read the catalog / manual? Thanks again for taking the time to respond - all of you!

Stumplifter and Jetfixer like this.
  16. k-moe

Yes. Read first. Then read while looking at the machine. Then begin the process of evaluating systems, and working in a thorough, achievable (for you), systematic order. The usual first stop that I reccomend is borrowing a compression gauge and doing a compression test to determine the overall health of the engine, then checking the valve clearances (particularly if you find that the compression readings are a bit low). Once you know if the engine is healthy enough you can move on to brakes, carbs, and electrical.

17. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Follow what k-moe says...he's one of the resident experts here and knows his stuff.

Keats Ross likes this.
  18. Stumplifter

Great to be excited, but important that the excitement does not make you rush through any of the tasks. Read Information Overload Hour.

Keats Ross likes this.
  19. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Keats Ross likes this.
  20. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

WTTC Keats!

LOL.....I'm smiling because I remember being exactly where you are in life.....boy, THAT was a long time ago! You've got a great group here though who will happily guide & help you as you occasionally get "stuck" momentarily. For your own sake....and I remember very clearly how hard this part is.....do yourself a favor and check the date codes on the tires and remove both wheels, (1 at a time of course) to be positive that your brakes are top notch! Just post the pics and your questions and the guys will trip over themselves to help you! I know how hard it is to worry about mundane stuff but if you can't stop reliably and well....you won't ever get a chance to write one of these notes when you are older, to the new guy!

Enjoy the ride!!

jeff

Keats Ross, Rooster53 and Stumplifter like this.