1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

KTM Duke 390

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by saftie, Jul 31, 2016.

1. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

A friend of mine is in the market for a new bike. Not having an official drivers license yet (he's from abroad) he asked me to test ride the bike he was interested in: a new KTM Duke 390.

I didn't expect much having owned 1000cc bikes over the last few years, but boy was I wrong.
    It took me a minute to get used to the upright seating position, but I actually ended up liking it.
    Torque: omg, this bike moves. I couldn't believe how much this 390cc engine pulled. An absolute grin factor. The sound: not bad at all. It had a really nice tune to it, not as annoying and high pitched as the 250 I owned years ago. Sound level never got annoying and I actually enjoyed listening to it.
    I never thought about this before, ever, but at some point I said to myself: these are nice mirrors. The mirrors, even though not ginormous, gave me a good idea of what was going on behind you. I felt like I saw more than with any other mirror on a bike I had before.
    The dash display is cute. Kept on the small side, it provides info on pretty much everything important: fuel level, engine temp, rpm including a shift gear indicator as well as the usual lights and trip mileage.
    Priced at just below 5000 new, it's a very good package for a great looking bike. Abs and Metzeler tires are included. The only thing I didn't like about it was the handlebar grips, but I didn't wear gloves.

After my test ride, my friend pulled the trigger on one of these. I am sure he will enjoy it as much as I did.

So if anyone is looking for something small for around town, give it a test ride. I am sure you will like it.

2. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

I bought one in 2015, they are one of the best all around bikes I've ever owned. Small and fun to blast around, and stable & fast enough for longer trips (though not as comfortable as a proper touring bike). Your friend will love his.

3. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Oh yeah, he loves it.
    I get to see the bike weekly when he comes over to use my tools to put yet another accessory on. He must have spent at least 2 grand on that.

4. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

I just wish the 690 was cheaper. Dukes are awesome, but being a 300lb guy with highway commutes to everywhere I'm going, a 390 is just not big enough for me.

Really fun bikes, though - everyone I know who's got one loves them.