1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Apologies for missing pics in posts/threads

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Mad_Bohemian, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Hey guys, just a quick apology/explanation if there are missing pics in any of my posts/threads. Apparently Photobucket changed their TOS that makes it 'illegal' to post pics on forums/websites unless you pay their blackmail...er.. monthly fee to 'upgrade' your account. Apparently blackmail is now an acceptable business mode to secure profits for stockholders. Sorry, I deleted my account and told them how I felt. If anyone is interested just pm me and I'll get ya what ya need/want... smh...what a bunch of bullsheet...

Robert Powell likes this.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I'll be having the same problem too. It's not blackmail. Changing the terms of service has been a normal business practice for eons (literally).

3. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

[​IMG] Testing from my photobucket account.[​IMG]

4. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Didn't work, time to drop photobucket apparently.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

its not that it is black mail, it cost money for photo bucket to store the photos on the servers. Just as it costs xjbikes to store photos on the servers.
    more photos more storage space needed. external servers used in the forums can lead to lost photos in threads. when xjbikes upgraded they lost photos in some of the threads as well.

why should photo bucket shoulder the expense for another site?
    kinda like your neighbor storing his bike in your garage. nice to let him at first but sooner or later he needs to store it in his own garage or you run out of space for your XJ's.

k-moe likes this.
  6. vashtsdaytona

vashtsdaytona Active Member

but do you think the $400 a year minimum is reasonable?

give me a lower price options, less bandwidth or storage or whatever, I understand they need money, but there are cheaper and free alternatives out there. however I have 3000 pics on there with links all over forums and it would be a huge pain in the butt to change all of that, and I think they know it and are taking advantage of that. not a crime but from my perspective not nice. im sure lots and lots of helpful info all of the internet is now lost. which I would be if they went out of business too. relying on others will always let you down.

7. k-moe

Don't worry. The price will drop as soon as they see how few people sign up for the service. That should take about a month, with maybe another month for management to actually take action.
    Unil then there are other options. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/free-3rd-party-image-hosting-site.1237063/

I just downloaded my entire bucket, and will be resoring what I can, when I can. PITA, but there's other things that are far more bothersome in life.

Itsnotme1988 and Wintersdark like this.
  8. XJ550H

no 400 is to much for the typical user. I would not be surprised if there are sites out there that used photo buck to store the photos for their web sites, just to save space in their own storage.
    maybe
    I remember when 411.com was free.
    photo bucket did not make as much money as they thought selling prints of photos to members

9. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

They generate revenue from all the ads choking up their bandwidth, plus making people pay if they don't want to see the ads. The minimum rate (that I saw) for a 'commercial ' account that would allow third party hosting was $99/year...even at that rate I think it's ridiculous. I still say that people that have been using a service for years should be 'grandfathered in, or have storage space reduced. But to suddenly start charging for what was always free... I call BS. They are generating revenue on multiple levels PRIOR to the change in TOS.. it's greed, plain and simple...

10. XJ550H

thats why the web site ends in com not org they are a money making enterprise. I think many of the users of photo bucket abused the system I have found a few sites that I bookmarked with the photos missing due to being posted from photo bucket. I get notices every month or so from ebay and paypal about new terms.
    socks is all I can say (it is what it is) .

11. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Stupid businesses, always trying to make money.

Wintersdark likes this.
  12. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

A 'from now on' approach would have been better I feel. Meanwhile google images is still 'free' - isn't it?

13. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Caveat: if something on the internet is free, it's because you are what is being sold.
    Ever wonder why the Google app requires access to your contacts, photos, and location? To serve you better, or more of you to sell?

cgutz, k-moe and Bigshankhank like this.
  14. Dstrong77

Dstrong77 Member

I dont know how I could help, but I do work for a larger web design company in Iowa. Not sure if anyone wanted me to look into anything but I would be willing. www.webspecdesign.com

15. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Matti wins the intenet!

16. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

He does? Great! He can talk to Photobucket and get them to offer free hosting again.

17. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

hey... i won the internet, not 400 dollars!

BaldWonder and schmuckaholic like this.
  18. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

matti---ever talk with Len? 'Intenet' is with how ya type it with a good suthun' drawwwwl.

19. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

This is 100% true, but in my opinion not bad.

I happily give Google my location history and such, and don't opt out of any of their data collection. Why? Because that data has zero value to me, but they use that data to fund the numerous free services I rely extensively on. Also, it's handy to be able to provide evidence as to where I was at any given time, to know where much truck is at any time, etc, should I ever have reason to do so.

But without a doubt: you're either the customer, or the product... Or both. But if you're not paying, you're not the customer. It's important for people to understand that in today's world.

20. k-moe

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Wintersdark likes this.