1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ550 seca cowling refurb

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dkavanagh, Jun 19, 2017.

1. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

OK, maybe not complete refurb, but parts will be replaced and things will look a ton better in the end.
    The cowling that came on my bike is white. Not pearl, white. Also, it's missing that red swish on the top. The one reflector shows signs of a drop and the windscreen is scratched and cracked. I'll get some photos of the condition today.
    I ended up buying this cowling on e-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Yamaha...VqbXkbhrk5vrAc3eq5cvw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
    It is the right color and has the decal. It has a minor crack which I'll probably stabilize from the inside, we'll see once I get it. It is also white inside, which makes me think it was never mounted, though there is some residue from the rubber trim.. who knows. I'll have to put some flat black on the interior of the piece.
    I have the nylon hardware to mount the windshield, though I am missing one, which I've ordered along with new trim (mine is not in great shape).
    I also found some NOS reflectors, which I snagged off e-bay as well.
    The final part is that windscreen. Last year, Motorcycle Superstore had some in stock for $70 and I failed to jump on that. Now, pretty much unobtanium!
    I'll post some photos as I go. It looks like a replacement more than a refurb though... I may have parts to sell afterwards if anybody's interested. It'll help fund this adventure!

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Good on ya for taking care of that bike. Would love to find/restore one someday but I have yet to even see one in person let alone one for sale here. One hit Craigslist recently but he wanted $2800....wasn't even close to perfect either.

3. dkavanagh

Some photos of the "before"
    IMG_20170619_145430782_HDR.jpg IMG_20170619_145417662_HDR.jpg IMG_20170619_145449705_HDR.jpg

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  4. dkavanagh

I like the way this is going. That part of e-bay is fantastic! Got my NOS reflectors and waiting for the black trim and extra nylon bolt. Just need a new windshield and I'll be super chuffed! (If I could find one)

Attached Files:

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

6. dkavanagh

I ran across that one as well, but wasn't totally sold that it's correct. It's more of a rendering. Not sure it's clear or has the holes in it. Also, AFAIK, 81-83 were the same, but this only lists 2 years. It seemed too fishy.

7. k-moe

They make factory-correct windscreens. and have for decades. The photo is of an actual windscreen, and they have a multitude of options for color (I do beleive that you have to drill the holes and a template and bit is provided).
    IIRC Chacal carries their line, and probably has one in stock.

8. dkavanagh

sure enough! HCP13556CLR Aftermarket original-replacement front fairing WINDSCREEN, clear, 10-3/4" tall (stock height) with the short "windlip" at the rear edge. For all 1981-82 XJ550 Seca models using the stock Yamaha fairing.
    $ 129.95

k-moe likes this.
  9. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

And it's already drilled correctly for mounting to the stock cowling and fits like a champ............

Rooster53 and k-moe like this.
  10. dkavanagh

I've seen some cowlings painted flat black on the inside, some left white. Mine was black, but it was also not original. What to do?

11. dkavanagh

I cleaned up the old windshield with PlastiX and it looks nice, but still scuffed and cracked. I may still order a new one. I fitted the new cowling, NOS reflectors, old windshield and left off the new trim I bought. I just had to see it on the bike!
    IMG_20170702_142002713_HDR.jpg IMG_20170702_142023984_HDR.jpg

Stumplifter and k-moe like this.
  12. Wordman

Wordman Member

Took mine off and packed it away for the next owner. :cool:

Good work, looks great!

13. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Love the white Seca with the fairing, nice resto.

14. dkavanagh

Due to the insurance settlement windfall, I sprung for the replacement windscreen from Len. So, here's the final assembly in all it's glory! New black trim and all. It's so clear!!
    IMG_20170804_220556817.jpg

15. ddiggerr

ddiggerr New Member

Looks awesome ......Old thread I know, however, I am interested in knowing where you located the black trim. I am currently restoring a fairing and have finished with the painting.

16. k-moe

Email @chacal at info@xj4ever.com or start a converstion with him here.

17. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not quite. The '81~'83 550 Secas were mechanically the same; but for 1983 Yamaha got rid of the cafe fairing (cowling.) That thing was only offered for the North American market; the XJ550Rs sold elsewhere were fairingless like the '83s.

When I got my '81, it had the cowling. I took it off and sold it. It may look cute, but it is far from light and has an adverse effect on the handling of the bike. For me, the trade-off wasn't worth it. I suspect the reason Yamaha binned it was they noticed the high number of owners removing the cowlings from their '81s and '82s.

k-moe likes this.
  18. Andrew Nichols

Andrew Nichols Active Member

I have a red one and the fairing is white inside. Now he's got me thinking of painting the inside a flat black.

IMG_20220622_180653.jpg