1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What touring bike would you buy with 5K

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Ribo, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    So I'm looking to buy a touring bike to take the wife and I on some longer trips.

Have a 5K budget - what would you folks buy? I have a few in-mind but not going to muddy the water first.

I just want something that's going to be fairly low maintenance and will be nice on highway and more scenic roads.

2. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

Fj1200 with lots of new parts. :)

3. Quixote

Quixote Active Member

I picked up a 1990 GL1500 Gold Wing in very good condition for $5K. It's a great bike for 2 up (especially if the 2 people are, ahem, not petit). The decision was based almost entirely on the passenger seat comfort factor. Happy wife, happy life. The Gold Wing is a pig in town but great on the highway and surprisingly capable on a twisty road.
    Basic maintenance is infrequent but all the bodywork slows down anything more involved than an oil change. Removing the rear wheel is a nightmare.

REUBEN and Stumplifter like this.
  4. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Ducati ST3 or ST4S. The ST3 is super simple to maintain but gives away about 15hp to the 4S, both are super comfortable and the luggage is very well designed and holds a ton of stuff. 220-250 mile range, good saddle and wind protection and drop dead gorgeous.

Ribo likes this.
  5. NEEDtoRIDE

NEEDtoRIDE Member

BMW K100RS or if you want full touring, the RT model. Motor maintenance is easy access, and brick motors are damn near unbreakable. RS fairing provides a lot of protection but isn't bulky and helps bring in some breeze in summer. There is also an aeroflow screen that attaches to extend the windscreen even higher. Side cases, and a top case if you need it have plenty of space. Seat is huge for 2 up riding. ABS is also pout there if you prefer that.

Stumplifter and Ribo like this.
  6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

VFR... V4, Honda reliability, looks as cool as hell, but I ride solo. I guess it's a bit on the sport touring side. Can you buy 2 bikes for 5000, one for you, and one for your special lady friend?

Ribo likes this.
  7. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

Suprise, suprise! @MattiThundrrr is all about Honda now!

Stumplifter likes this.
  8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Honda ST13oo, Kawasaki ZZR1200, Suzuki DL1000, so many out there that are good, just got to fall into the right price range and or seller.

9. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Always liked Honda cars. Had a prelude in the 90s, two hot rod civics, accords in the family, a crv, some Integras, ect. Still want an xj or two,but ribo wanted touring suggestions, and I am so interested in the V4... I've heard they make one with 2 stages of vtec. So yeah, I'm a Honda guy!

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

As for the V4's that is why I had to hop when I saw that 12 Madura on the "C" list....just had to do it.

11. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Thanks guys,

So yes I was leaning towards the BMW K100RT or the Honda ST13oo - I'm a big fan of old police bikes. I'd love an old well maintained BMW R100 with touring package but those seem to be out the budget somewhat and a little outside the age range of what I want practically.

The Ducati ST4S is interesting for sure. V-storm is a little to adventure for me.

12. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Longitudinally mounted chain driven dohc V4, that's an interesting set up to say the least! Are valve adjustments even necessary, or is it a timing chain replacement instead?
    And those big bimmers are pretty slick too!

13. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I'd buy a second XJ for the wife, and spent the rest on taking an awesome trip.

smeagol21b, TheCrazyGnat and Ribo like this.
  14. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Unfortunately my wife has a disability that means she can't ride and needs a little more comfort these days to go 2-up.

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Kawasaki Concours then. Inexpensive, reliable, made them for ages so parts are still available.

Ribo and TheCrazyGnat like this.
  16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

+1 on the Kawasaki Concours they are great bikes...if you want a little more zip the ZZR is what you need.

17. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Yeah nice! :)

18. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I was looking for a good touring bike ten years ago. I knew that I wanted reliability, customizable, fast enough for my brand of touring and of course I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I bought a new(back then) 2007 Dl1000 or Vstrom. I ride 365 as long as there is no snow on the roads and it was a brilliant pick. I performed the following mods to make it into a good touring bike: Mirror spacers to move them out further for 25 bucks, fabbed home-built forward pegs, removed and repacked the seat foam twice in ten years totaling 35 bucks, bought a Bead-rider for 40 bucks or so that's still working fine, mounted a top case, power outlet, center stand (why on Gods earth it didn't come with one was beyond me), TFI fuel controller for 165 bucks, replaced the fork springs with progressive's, installed a lightly used BMW shock for 100 bucks, added aux lights on the front fender, added 3 switches to the handlebar cover to control the aux lights, radar detector and battery charging indicator.

It's not perfect but for 7400 out the door for the bike + less then a grand, I've got a bike that is a pleasure to ride on my jaunts out to AMA vintage days...around 450 each way and I have ridden on many trips over 1500 miles. The only thing that has ever failed was that my alternator magnets came loose so I reglued them 4 years ago and I had to replace the front spark plug cover when it began leaking and dropping the front cylinder....other than that...it's been the ONLY modern bike in my garage of 11 bikes and won't be sold anytime in the future as far as I can tell. It's been that good!

Just my take....get something simple and easy to work on, just in case. If you can't see all the components while looking at the bike, chances are, it's not going to be easy to work on should something arise....this is the only pic I have here...it's the blue bike in the rear.....these are just my tagged bikes except for my H2b which is in my shop getting a different set of cylinders.

jeff

Attached Files:

Ribo, Timbox and Stumplifter like this.
  19. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Nice picture, Jeff, I like how you make the ones with 4 wheels sleep outside the garage!

20. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member