1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

34 year old XJ holds its own on the Isle of Man..

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by a100man, Aug 27, 2017.

1. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Just returned from a brief trip to the IOM Classic TT/ Manx GP. Arrived late Wednesday after taking 4.5 hours to do do the 180 miles to Liverpool for the ferry (grrr)- saw some practice sessions and yesterday a race featuring the Dunlop brothers (Joey's nephews) and the impressive Maria Costello. Whipped around the Island with some friends (GS1200, KTM 690, VFR750) and never felt I was letting the side down on my old iron..
    So 600 miles all in in 4 days, 55 mpg, half a pint of oil, all on a aged engine with low compression on #3 due to a corroded bore. Kept up with the the fat tyre sports bikes(R1s etc..) too, on my race to get the ferry yesterday - a spirited ride. A few pics..

A) The ferry hold..

[​IMG]
    B) The grandstand..
    [​IMG]
    C) some old b@stard leaning on my bike.
    [​IMG]
    D) Castletown -south of the Island...

[​IMG]
    As ever the bike looks 10 x better in the pics - it really is a scruffy heap, truth be told.

May have some more pics from companions later..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Best looking bike there, if you ask me.

TheCrazyGnat and Plug like this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Scruffy heap?! Have you looked at my showcase?

4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

#1 on my bucket list. One day I hope to attend.

Stumplifter likes this.
  5. a100man

Don't delay! The spectacle is like nothing you've seen. But you will need some advice on how to get there.
    e.g. all ferry bookings for TT 2018 will be booked already and I mean solid for every day during the fortnight in early June. In June 2018 they will open bookings for 2019. The ClassicTT/Manx GP (on now)is easier to get to as there is less demandand you might say less 'atmosphere'. I took a risk and scooted up without a booking on Wednesday as it was practice week there was a space to go that night (for a bike) Swedish chap in van was told he would have to wait 3 days before he could even go 'standby'.
    Accommodation is also an issue. If you desire a roof then planning is needed. Camping is easier and some places (Douglas Rugby Club) offer ready erected tents. Fly and drive is an option if you don't want to bring a bike. Or come on foot and bring a pushbike (the place is hilly though!). If you're serious, get in touch and I will share my experiences..

6. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

So very cool. :cool:

On my bucket list also... financially unattainable.
    For now I shall live vicariously through @a100man and hopefully a few more pictures being posted.

7. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Your bike looks great ... One day I'd love to go to "blighty" but lack of $$$ preclude that. Seems like all the Brit Bike magazines ( motorcycle mechanics favorite) have some really cools bikes. I know prices for parts sound kinda high (VAT?) exchange rate(?) . Maybe when I hit the Lottery...:D

8. a100man

Thanks but the camera does flatter if not completely lying..

Exchange rate though is currently in your favour. Not so many years ago it was 2.00 USD for 1 GBP and now it's 1.30 ! It's true to say there are hundreds of 80s bikes on UK & German ebay (France must sell it's stuff a different way I think!) all with the same re-commissioning tasks that we encounter. Prices range from 300-400 GBP (just seen a XJ550 sold today for 410) up to 2000-3000 for some of the sought after stuff. It all depends what is currently in fashion and in my experience that is whatever the 40-50 years olds once had in their teens and twenties!
    Expect to pay big bucks for TDR250 or early GSXR750 slab-sides for example. Luckily XJs unlike RDs or DTs are not so sought after. Seca2s (diversions) are especially cheap though probably because they are considered as grey-porridge commuter fodder. Also there are a number of guys selling US imports on ebay that I suspect are imported by the container load -70s Japanese 2 strokes are especially popular..

9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

A friend of mine's Mum lives on the Isle and he's offered for years for Kerry and I to go over for the IOM. Malc attends each year now after growing up there.... and has raced there before but not the TT. He's one of my Kaw triple friends from the UK. Congrats on a great opportunity and some great pics!!

jeff

10. a100man

My recommendation is to try and get there for the full two weeks if it's going to be a one off trip. If you go for just a few days you won't cover much of the circuit viewing points and you risk missing races due to bad weather.. Good Luck!

11. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

We will keep that recommendation in mind! It's often very smart to listen to someone who has done a trip...because they have an insight that we can only guess at from home. Malc would decide the view points and the agenda...as it should be but do I dare ask his Mum to put us up for a half a fortnight? Thanks for the tip!

jeff

12. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Does his mum dare put the unruly xj horde up? Like having Vikings over for tea!

13. a100man

I keep trying to remember how many trips I've made .. The first was in 1991, then 1997, 2000, 2006, 2008.. I think a total of 9 visits now
    but still plenty of places I haven't been to view from - after all you've got 37.5 miles to choose from!

Stumplifter likes this.
  14. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I have dreamed of the Manx TT since I was a wee lad. Not many events like it left in the world. Newfoundland in Canada has a similar road race around the province, a little more accessible to North Americans, with a lot less history, but it is for cars. As long as the vehicle passes safety check, you can enter, there's a class for everything. I love the grassroots level racing, where million dollar budgets help, but aren't required.