1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

198X Virago 750 stalls when out in gear

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by quebecois59, Sep 27, 2017.

1. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I haven't been here for several months due to some troubles in my relationship with my wife. Recently, a friend of mine who owns an early 80's Virago 750 has experienced stalling when put in either 1st or 2nd gear and releasing the clutch. I pointed out to him the kick stand switch, isn't there anything else that could cause this?

2. Baker6x6

Baker6x6 Member

If it dies instantly after putting in gear... it's likely the KS switch. If- on the other hand- it stalls as you let the clutch out.. I'd look into a fuel-mixture problem. This could be a large vacuum leak, choke/enrichment, or a stopped-up fuel filter/petcock issue....

k-moe likes this.
  3. quebecois59

THank you ! Actually it stalled when put in gear. I explained to my friend that he has to put the bike on the center stand first, then work the KS switch with lubricant until it goes freely in and out. The big challenge for him was to put the bike on the center stand, he asked a friend living next door for this (I told him I will teach him how to do it by himself next time I go to his place). Lubricant made the rest. HE phoned me one hour ago to thank me !

k-moe likes this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Viragos are a bit of a bother to get on the center stand. There's not quite enough leverage to just stretch it up like you do with an XJ.

5. quebecois59

I'll report the success (or not) of my attempt, I doubt it is harder than a Goldwing 1200, but it could be !

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I couldn't speak to that comparison, but the centerstand geometry is bad on the first-gen Viragos.

7. quebecois59

That could be a real problem even if the bike isn't very heavy.

8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Design has a lot to do with center stand function. Despite it's light weight, it's very hard to get a Rebel on it's stand. They don't have one!

9. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

Ha! It's funny ' cause it's true!

10. quebecois59

My friend came to my place this afternoon with his Virago. The kickstand switch works like a charm now, after two or three lubricant treatments. He didn't park it in my entrance, he stayed on the other side of the street, the bike facing down the slope. I told him I'm gonna teach him how to put his bike on the center stand right away. He looked at me with a bit of incredulity in the eye. I said : help me hold the balance for a second but let me do it alone. Boum ! Success at the first attempt ! I have to say that it felt a bit heavy for half a second.

I did it a second time more slowly just to make sure he understood the process. Half an hour later, he phoned me from his place to tell me he had success doing it himself, saying that he was inspired by my performance. Haha ! Great guy !

Jetfixer likes this.