1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Simmy's Naked Turbo Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Simmy, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I figured out all the frame differences between the Turbo and the RJ.
    I've taken pics of all the differences. Here they are;

These pics are XJ Turbo

TurboRHtankcoverbracket.JPG

these brackets will be discarded. I can't even test fit an RJ tank until there removed.
    TurboLHtankcoverbracket.JPG
    this side is welded on or I would have removed them already
    Turbosteerstem.JPG
    at first I thought that clip holding the brake line was really cool. Just more metal to shed.
    I will be using RJ triple clamps.

Turbosidepanelgrommet.JPG
    Turbosidepanelgrommet2.JPG
    These clips hold the lowest part of the side panels and will need to be removed, all the way with a hand file since this part of the frame shows. The bike is still covered in 20 yrs of cob webs as you see in this pic.
    Turbosidepaneltabs.JPG
    More side panel tabs to come off.
    Turboseatlock.JPG
    believe it or not the seat lock on the Turbo is identical to the RJ and lines up perfectly with the RJ sidecover hole.
    Lots more weight to shave on these shocks and all the interconnecting air hose.
    Another small tab on top of the frame to grind off.
    Turbotail.JPG
    I'm cutting the frame off where the lower frame tube ends.
    I've decided to make a bobber.
    Not!
    The piece that holds the seat and the rear frame rails will get transferred over from the RJ.

The following pics are XJ650RJ

650RJ tail frame rail.JPG
    RJ frame will sacrifice its tail. This is a much more noble reason for hacking up an RJ than making a back yard bobber. I'm a child of the 60's. When I was 12 the oldest kid down the street bought a brand new 1973 Z1 900 and that bike had the duck bill or what harley called the quick bob. I like tail and think every bike needs one. That bike blew my 12 year old mind.
    If I cut the frame same place as the Turbo then I can just stick the entire RJ tail on.
    The frame tubes are actually bent different after that point on so it would never really mimic the XJ650RJ. The distinguishing long rear fender would not fit properly.
    I'm planning to mount the RJ grab rails. They are way different than the Turbo and utilize the top shock mounting bolt. They will also allow me to bolt everything together and align everything before welding. The frame is straight there so I can make some welding inserts for the frame tube. It will be just as strong as OEM.

650RJ seat & side cover RH side.JPG
    both these tabs need to be salvaged carefully with a dremel since they both get remounted on the Turbo frame.
    650RJ LH side.JPG
    Another side cover tab to salvage. The seat lock is same so this bracket requires no modification.

650RJ LH side cover grommet & airbox.JPG
    another tab to relocate.
    This RJ has a Turbo tank on it which actually fits perfectly BTW.
    Not that anyone would have a reason to consider this.
    I understand the petcock bolt spacing is different but never looked yet myself.

So anyway that's basically what is needed to transform the frame.
    Pretty easy!

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

everyone likes pics right?
    Turbo power up.JPG
    That white cylinder was the power up kit Yamaha supplied in 84 which supposedly increased boost from 7 psi to 11.
    Held the wastegate closed longer by taking the surge tank pressure instead of right at the compressor.
    It's been years since I read about that, I think thats how it worked.
    My Turbo back then had it installed new so I never rode the 7 psi bike. I hear it was disappointing,
    no doubt with all the weight tacked on to these bikes.
    Turboairscoops.JPG
    I hope these air scoops fit under the RJ tank. They have a cool factor and obviously a purpose.
    Those fairing and horn brackets will go.
    Turbocarbs.JPG
    sinners waiting for church!

Crankwalk likes this.
  3. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you mean by duck tail. You'll have to finish the job quickly so we can all see it!

4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

No I was referring to the original 900 Kawasaki. I love that look. This bike is just getting the RJ tail assembly.

Jetfixer likes this.
  5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

In that case, go even faster!

6. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Had a few moments to continue stripping the Turbo down.
    Sure didn't look like the appropriate environment for spinning something faster than 200,000 rpm, LOL.
    I thought if the Turbo was clean and spun freely I would give it a shot without a complete tear down.
    Definitely looking at a Turbo rebuild now.

IMG_1523.JPG
    Compressor outlet. WTF!

IMG_1524.JPG
    Main exhaust pipe stuffed full of fibres. I'm not sure if someone tried to dampen the sound with muffler packing or a family of mice installed wall to wall broadloom.

7. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I'm guessing meece, only cuz even a PO couldn't be that idiotic!
    "Hmm. I want the look of a turbo, without all the annoying performance."

8. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Yes likely mice, just shows the prudence necessary when reviving anything sitting 20 years.
    I share my garage with my dog and had my BSA under restoration for about 4 years. Mice packed the exhaust pipe full with kibbles!

Correction to the above pics -it is the turbine (exhaust) side. Compressor side is clean intake air, at least it's suppose to be, haven't been inside there yet.
    I'm looking for a replacement silencer for the left side only, thinking a left side 1300 Hayabusa silencer would allow flow for about 100 hp.
    They're plentiful on e-bay probably because everyone replaces them with aftermarket exhaust.
    This will be another weight saving measure, that is a lot of weight Yamaha tacked on just to quiet down the waste gate on the RH side.
    Most guys are just sticking a chrome nozzle of some sort onto the waste gate outlet.

9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Simmy,
    FWIW:
    Several turbo owners scrap the right side stock exh and place a chinese "shorty" on in it's place to save weight. The stock left side will not impede power....I'm running 18psi and know others running 20psi w/ no issues using stock left side exh.

G-pop shop for a rebuild kit for the turbo....stock rebuild kit is offered as well as a "trick kit" with "ported" turbo and clipped exh turbine vanes...I personally cannot comment on the trick kit but if you choose to rebuild it yourself, be forewarned.....you MUST index the retaining nut (on impeller side of the shaft) to the stem prior to disassembly (I scored 3 sets of marks over the shaft end & nut). Otherwise, it will not be balanced when you reassemble and it will either frag upon spinning up or it simply will not spool up. It took my many tries to land the nut on the marks when torqued.....but it was well worth the effort! Also, spend a few hours grinding the mating faces of the waste gate so that they are water-tight (I poured a glass of H2O from the outside of the wastegate to see if it leaked past....when it didn't, I was done).....this will prevent losing valuable boost pressures when you are assembled!

good luck, your work is amazing!

jeff

10. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeff, your advice is always good, I will credit you on educating me on most of the immediate ailments on turbo, and the simple addition of a boost controller and washer to preload the surge tank BOV. You have some easy to follow posts, great stuff.
    Another Turbo poster Zluck I think recommended "Boostvalve" but some reason but their ebay site won't take my order.
    It's SS not plastic so it's a little more precise valve, still pretty cheap.

For a turbo rebuild I like your recommendation to get a DIY rebuild kit from G-pop.
    His website says he only ships USA destinations when he does the work anyway.
    I found a turbo rebuilder on the Canadian side. His website mentions custom turbo builds so I don't know why he wouldn't do a bike.
    He hasn't answered my e-mail. I'll take your advice and just order the kit. I have a local bike/machine shop who could bale me out if I get into something too deep.
    web IMG_1536.JPG
    the intake side was flooded in oil.
    The turbo is out now so time to find a You-tube video - Turbo rebuilding 101
    web IMG_1533.JPG
    I would like to re-route this oil line from the motor to the turbo since it will show on the naked bike.
    I can re-route this later. For now I will clean it up and hide it with black paint.
    The oil filter was missing the washer! Every used XJ I've bought had that missing.

web IMG_1525.JPG
    FUGLY UGLY! this metal snout holding the headlight way out I think is responsible for 95% of the ugly factor of the Turbo.
    Unfortunately I will have to live with it for a little while longer as the 2 main bolts holding it on won't slip out with the RH fork in the way.
    I'm not ready to remove the forks, probably after the motor is out so I'll be staring at this ugly monolith to 80's styling for a little while longer.
    web IMG_1527.JPG
    web IMG_1534.JPG
    Sometimes I get lucky! found a brand new XJ650RJ Seca shifter for $10, on the Canadian side.
    Still looking for a good chrome brake lever. The Turbo came with blacket out controls which look shitty today as the finish is rusty.
    I have all the controls intact on the donor RJ but they are very rusty to.
    Collecting all the bits is 1/2 the fun of restoring bikes.

web IMG_1529.JPG

11. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I'm just planning to install another elbow to the waste gate pointing down away from the tire.
    fzr600 passenger pegs.jpg
    I searched through a thousand ebay passenger peg brackets and found this pic of the 1st gen FZR600.
    I'd like to find a set of these because they are steel and I can easily modify them, they need to hold the pipe on the left instead of the right and line up with the holes on the frame.
    The LJ and the RJ differ a lot in their passenger brackets. The 2 mounting holes are way different.
    I have a friend who does a lot of aluminum welding so maybe modifying modern ones from most any sportbike is a better option.
    The original Turbo LH exhaust I have is still intact but the finish is all pitted and the styling is not what I'm after.
    I want something bright that looks generic. I saw the left hand silencer from a 675 Triumph triple looked really cool but I suspect it would be too restrictive.

12. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Hey, advice is free to take or to leave.....receivers choice....and I've done both before! LOL
    Charlie and Gerry at Gpop might be able to hook you up if you call.....they really are great guys & VERY helpful, even for 130 dollor orders.

The rebuild is easy and intuitive....but don't forget that balance issue. Gerry at Gpop wanted me to send in my turbo after I rebuilt it for "pro" balancing but with some effort, you can hit the correct landing marks and if not, then you can send it. Who knows, maybe I got lucky?

Good luck!

jeff

13. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I got lucky too! (With JeffK's help of course, he lives near me and helped me rebuild my turbo charger). Followed all his advice including the GPop shop kit, call them and they'll help you out just like he said.
    I've put about 9000 miles on my turbo since 2012, with about 11 psi of boost with a manual boost controller (and plenty of times running it up) and it's doing great!

14. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

G Pop rebuild kit.JPG
    TC-03 turbo rebuild kit arrived from G Pop. Last one in stock!
    I watched a few tutorials on You Tube how to rebuild a Mitsubishi turbocharger.
    Looks straight forward, I just hope the major parts are good.

15. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I think there was one piece (one of the end plates or washers?)that did not get installed when I did mine but the kit may be different now too. I ended up calling Charlie at Gpop on a Sunday to ensure my proper assembly...and he couldn't have been more helpful or nicer. Maybe Manbot remembers for sure since he did his more recently??....and he did an amazing job on his custom gauges too! Envy!!

jeff

16. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Frame Repair.JPG
    While stripping the bike down I found this spot on the frame with some corrosion.
    There's a small hole through the frame which may have been there because of shitty welds.
    You can see under cutting in the weld right up to the hole.
    Whether or not the hole caused the corrosion or corrosion caused the hole it needs fixing, especially on anything with Turbo written on it.
    I stripped the entire bike down without any issues, including the intake manifolds from the head and the knock sensor from the block.
    This particular old bike is a real pleasure to work on as every nut & bolt seems to be never touched since the factory.
    It's a mechanical virgin.

17. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

XJ650RJ_.JPG
    I reached a major milestone in my project.
    The Turbo is torn down to pieces and the XJ6560RJ is now on the bench.
    This bike sadly is soon to be no more. It will cease to be a motorcycle in a few more visits to the garage.
    You can see the Turbo in the back ground of this pic, looks like a bicycle against the wall.

18. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Congrats on reaching this Milestone Simmy~!~

Keep doing the "next thing" and soon you are going to have a really nice, new bike!

jeff

19. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeff, the RJ is now torn to bits.
    I need to clean up the mess from all the demolition and put the LJ and RJ frames side by side. I suspect the steering lock may be different, we'll see soon.

20. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I have my motors all lined on my scissor table. This will be my R&D lab as I try to combine 900 parts with the 650 Turbo.
    The 1st one on the left is a 900, this will get stripped 1st to check the condition of the barrels, pistons and crank.
    The 2nd motor is my numbers matching turbo motor and the cases I intend to use.
    3rd from left is another turbo I intend to use for a mock up. I'm going to find out if the 900 crank will fit the 650Turbo cases.
    This will be a trial/error fit up before I disturb anything in my real motor.
    On the far right is the standard XJ650RJC which may come in handy for something, alternator, valve shims, crank bearings, who knows?

4 motors.JPG
    2 frames.JPG
    I'm ready to start removing the tail and any tabs needed from the RJ frame.