1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What makes a Police Special... well, Special?!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Chris Withey, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Chris Withey

Chris Withey New Member

Hi all, recently picked up a New Zealand Police special XJ750. VIN numbers etc seem to point to this being the case anyway.

upload_2018-2-21_14-45-0.png

My question is- Can anyone tell me what specs were special to the New Zealand police model? And what base model is it built of with regard to a Haynes manual and parts etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

bigger alternator more lights to flash

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

NOTE: XJ750 Police (24L, 33V, and 39Y models) used the XJ650 Turbo master cylinder with XJ750 Seca calipers and rotors, and XJ650 Turbo style forks without anti-dive.

NOTE: XJ750 Police (37H models) used the XJ650 Turbo master cylinder with XJ650 Turbo/XJ750 Maxim/Midnight Maxim calipers, XJ650 Turbo rotors, and XJ900 style forks with anti-dive.

Both the 650 Police and the 750 Police bikes are probably a hodge-podge mix of components from XJ650, XJ750, and 900 models......in other words, a "parts bin" bike. Doing it in such a manner would reduce the cost, while at the same time providing the maximum performance by adapting the higher-performance parts from various models. There may be some unique parts that needed to be made (for instance, upper and lower steering brackets to adapt 900 forks to a 750 frame), but that's a minor expense for a company the size of Yamaha when trying to acquire some biz in the lucrative "government sales" marketplace.

So for your 24L model, you'll need the Haynes 650/750 manual, and then also the 650 Turbo manual (or at least the forks section).

5. Chris Withey

Chris Withey New Member

Thanks Chacal- that’s exactly what I was after. Seems to be a bit of info around regarding the Aussie version (37H) but not so much on the 24L NZ model.

First tasks per recommendation will be carb to church and valve clearances checked / remedied etc so I assume the procedures will be per the myriad of walk-throughs on this forum? I.e HSC32 carbs and standard shims etc.

Have taken her for a blast post purchase (fresh fuel, plugs and idle screw reset) and runs well but revs hang after throttle release per others experiences. Suspect she’s just in need of some love and redemption but it also has pods (well socks really) so I’m cautious re how great it’ll be post clean/sync/tune but hey- better to be born lucky than good looking right??!!

So appreciative of all the info on here. Makes owning an old bike like this much less daunting having access to so many lessons learned.

Last question (for now): Chacal- how does someone living in nz go about purchasing parts off? Probably looking for carb including throttle shaft seals in first instance but probably brake lines etc too.

Thanks.

CW

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

7. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Sounds awesome... any pics?

8. Chris Withey

Chris Withey New Member

It looks far from a Police bike these day- but yep, I'll throw some pics up soon.

9. Chris Withey

Chris Withey New Member

IMG_1342.JPG IMG_1345.JPG IMG_1346.JPG

10. REUBEN

REUBEN Member

Good look on that bike.

11. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Oooohh. Daddy likes

12. Quixote

Quixote Active Member

Nice looking bike! Hope you are going to add a proper tail light though - that one is going to leave you invisible from certain angles in the dark.

13. Chris Withey

Chris Withey New Member

Based on the info above, can anyone tell me the correct volume of fork oil I need to use? Or a ‘from top’ measurement?

14. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

From police special to what police "specially" look at. Good luck on the overhaul.