1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Puff of smoke from the engine

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Sbmaxim, Nov 25, 2007.

  1. Sbmaxim

    Sbmaxim Member

    Messages:
    226
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Started my bike up after letting it sit for 4 days. Choked it, hit the ignition and got a loud enough pop to startle me, and a puff of smoke from somewhere near the bottom front left of the engine, if you were sitting in the seat. Smelled gassy, didn't fire up, then I hit the ignition again and it fired right up.

    It's pretty cold out, upper 30, low 40's been rained on a little also, any idea what the cause may have been?
     
  2. RickCoMatic

    RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,842
    Likes Received:
    68
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Massachusetts, Billerica
    Unburned Fuel gathering in the Collector Box that ignited when the Bike started.

    If the Mixture is Rich it just Pops and smokes.

    A Lean Mixture doing that can ignite with such force that it will cause a weak seam to separate and damage the Collector Box.

    Looks like you are the lucky guy this time.
     
  3. Sbmaxim

    Sbmaxim Member

    Messages:
    226
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Is there something I need to do to keep it from happening again?
     
  4. RickCoMatic

    RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,842
    Likes Received:
    68
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Massachusetts, Billerica
    Do a tune-up and keep your Battery charged-up.

    Don't keep cranking-over an engine that doesn't start right away.

    If your Battery is charged-up good and the Plugs are not fouled ... investigate why the Bike isn't catching and starting right away.

    Whenn the cooler weather descends upon us ... it's a test for how well tuned the engine is with regard to the Cold Start Circuit and the Pilot Mixtures.

    There is also a chance that it means you have a Tight Valve. You should Measure your Valve Clearances to be sure that you don't have a Valve too tight that gases are escaping to the system past a Valve not fully closed and seated.
     
  5. Sbmaxim

    Sbmaxim Member

    Messages:
    226
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Gotcha, this puff of smoke happened on the initial crank, as soon as I tried to crank it up. The plugs have 1k miles on them by now, could probally use some new ones also.
     
  6. RickCoMatic

    RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,842
    Likes Received:
    68
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Massachusetts, Billerica
    How often you change Plugs depends on how well the engine is tuned. If you are so rich that the plugs are easily fowled ... you need to take corrective action to prevent that.

    Otherwise, a well tuned engine is good for several thousand miles on a new set of plugs.

    I change mine when I do Oil Changes. Usually, 25-hundred miles or something short of 3-Thousand Miles. I dispose of Plugs that are still "Good" but I'm doing a "Living-Tweak" reading the Plugs quite often looking for the Best Fine-tune I can put on a 750 Max.

    I'd say ... right about now, she's where the most fun is!
     

Share This Page