1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Dantoys

Dantoys New Member

I did not count the total job, but I started in June tearing down, and just finished , worked a few hours here and there on weekends. It would have been much faster with uninterrupted time, I spent an Entire week spraying the gasket and beating the hell out of my Head just to separate the Gasket.(My Rubber Mallet is broke). Gasket removal was by far the most difficult process. And if anyone plans to try this, clean the engine well, before you remove anything, if you think it is clean, go back and clean it again. and I posted a tip about gasket removal, after most of mine had been painfully removed with a razor blade and plastic scrapers. Soften them up with some Gun bore cleaner.. paint thinner did nothing to help, but stink up my little garage. LOL.

Oh as a note, someone posted a method to replace the starter clutch springs by just removing the Alternator.

Good Luck!

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes gaskets can be a pain, I did the head gasket on my car recently and got the head skimmed at the local engineering shop. I saw the note about accessing the starter clutch on the XJ but I think it is quite tricky to fit them they way. I will have another look at it. Why did they do away with kickstarts lol, the most reassuring piece on metal on a bike.

3. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

yesterday went for a ride and took a left and just kept on going.:rolleyes:
    Started in Medford Oregon, Jacksonville, Grants Pass and then on down 199 to California took a right and and headed back up the Oregon Coast. Brookings Oregon had lunch at the HUNGRY CLAM hehehe.
    Basically same route I took earlier in July.
    ride time 6 hrs.
    Miles 276
    MPG 50
    Amount of satisfaction OFF THE CHARTS :p
    Got home and realized that I was 6 miles from reaching the 74,000 mark on the odometer.
    Grandson (4yrs) got on bike decided to put his feet down and knocked off the K&N air pod easy fix
    Grandson was so sad that he broke PAPAs bike:(
    Took the opportunity to show him how to fix- GRANDSON all smiles afterward especially since I let him do the wrenching.
    Lesson for myself-
    It is all about perspective, take each opportunity to teach the little ones while they still listen!
    ;)

4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I was so inspired after reading this sites threads on rear shocks I made my own version of the spring compressor/remover. Took longer than I thought, and one thing I learnt - some springs are right hand wound, some are left. It may seem trivial, but the shape of the spring cup/holder is dictated by the shape of the spring. I tried it on my konis and the hagons I just finished refurbishing, it worked a dream, but I would like to make a new spring cup, biased the other way. The last item to do is a rubber/felt coating for this cup - to prevent marking the spring.
    Handy tool, glad I took the time to get it made.

k-moe likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Nothing. I got to fit 1/4 round trim around doorways instead. Not so fun, but very satisfying. I only have one doorway left, and the kitchen floor will be complete.

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Re-installed the 65orj carbs---- it's getting closer to completion

IMG_4819.JPG

7. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Finally got carbs synched and color tuned ,sure neighbors are happy . I had been messing with this for 2 weeks , after talking to hogfiddles realized I had my synch gauges turned around , I did not think it would make any difference if I had number 4 connected to the number 1 on manifold , but swapped them around and a slight tweak on numer 1 and 4 and all 4 read even and steady idle . :D

8. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

A bunch of tuning. Reduced the air and cranking pulse width for better warm start. Turned on overrun fuel cut, which works really nicely for a smooth coast downhill and should improve MPG. Richened up the top couple of rows of the map to get closer to 12.2:1 at WOT (seems to pull a bit better from 4500 onwards like that). Also tweaked the just-starting-off areas of the map to try to keep it from dipping too rich there... haven't had a chance to test ride that change. Also a took a nice ride out for lunch.

9. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Fitted the Hagons to the maxim - noticed the upper pins are too long - I guess due to the allowance for the seat/grab rail, which I don't have.
    Pulled the old maxim shocks apart using the new compressor, they're Kayabas, and still work OK but the stems are pitted.
    I've agreed a deal to buy the koni adjustables, so hope they're as good as the seller says.

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

more washers

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Used a hydraulic cable oiler to oil the clutch and throttle cable.

12. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

Vacuum synced and colour tuned my xj1100. Replaced the clutch switch so I can start her when she is in gear now. I also relocated the rear turn signals so my saddle bags will fit. The bags fit well now but I will need to fashion something to keep the bags from hitting the wheel.

13. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Finally a day off from work so I took the “new to me” xj750rj out for a 40 mile tour for assessment. All roads are within 5-10 miles of my place so it was nice to have been able to get her real hot and bothered so to speak

1-Starter clutch is “good”.. yay! :)
    2-Runs out real well until about 70mph and then I’m getting a good front end vibration happening thru the bars (neck bearings?):eek:
    3-Brakes need replaced front and rear:cool:
    4-Forks have leaky seals on both sides :cool:
    5-no noticeable leaks from any gaskets:)
    6-hogfiddles has another carb job for winter:D
    But it’s plenty good enough for the rest of this season knowing the “Connie “ is my daily ride
    7- all in all I’m pleased with my introduction to this bike as everything that needs done is expected from a bike this age:):)
    8- We all wholly agree the list will become larger

Attached Files:

14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Nice looking rife!

15. dowski68

Get to have two days off this week. :eek:
    So I went riding this morning before the smoke came rolling back in.
    Decided to upload this summers mileage that I have acquired. A IMG_0126.JPG IMG_0169.JPG QBGQ4947.JPG amazingly even after having my little accident and my XJ was down for a month.
    Just noticed that 73,000 and 74,000-mile picture have the same odometer reading. No, it is not broken just a coincidence. Well that didn't work out like I thought it would LMAO.

Attached Files:

joe elliff likes this.
  16. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

Been riding through clouds of smoke the last couple of weeks with forest fires burning all around us. The seca seems fine with it but if I open my visor at all I get a face full of ash. It's like snow in the headlight beam at night. This morning it was still dark at 9:30 because the smoke was so thick. I rode into a right turn that leads under an overpass and onto a bridge across the Nechako River and the back end slipped a bit on the ash on the ground. I crossed the bridge and did a lazy down shift without rev matching and the back locked up its so slick. It's going to be an interesting ride home tonight.

17. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

might consider what all that ash is doing to your air filter.

18. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

I opened it up on Sunday and gave it a clean but there wasn't much in there surprisingly. I'm off fishing for a week from Saturday and hopefully things will be better when I return.

19. dowski68

This I thought of an since the air filters are K&N I just wash them out once a week since the fires started.
    Thanks for the reminder :)

20. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Having lived through many forest fires, and one volcanic eruption; softwood ash is no big deal.
    The engine will let you know when the filter needs to be blown clean.
    You'll start having a bog like she's running rich (which she will be).

The bigger issue is what the ash does to the paint and windscreen if you try to just brush it off.

SpearChucker likes this.