1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj650 Turbo $400, running, but.... Wont shut off?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by grasscutter, Oct 7, 2018.

1. grasscutter

grasscutter New Member

Wiring:
    -ive investigated throughout remainder of the bike, and see no evidence of anything else being cut, hacked or removed.
    -especially under the ignition switch (per suggestion that PO bypassed it).

-after many hrs of investigating, test running the engine, etc. I heard a loud 'click'. (or like the 'snap' of a fuse blowing). Bike stopped running.
    -now doesn't restart at all. Cranks fast and good, no start.
    -i see no burnt fuses and checked that i've got power from batt to starter solenoid. Solenoid to main fuse, and power to starter button.
    (as it does turn over well, just no fire).
    -I do have spark at the plugs.
    -I do have fuel.
    -lights, blinkers, horn, etc. all still work.

2. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

There are no float bowl overflows. The "atmospheric" pressure in the carb is tied to the compressor, and the carb is sealed. This means that any overflow either goes into the intake into the engine, or back into the airbox. There's no where else for it to go. You might just have a broken or disconnected hose

The fuel pressure regulator regulates to 2 psi above the boost signal. I was curious, so I removed it and this is how I checked mine:
    I didn't test it's exact function, and it's been a while, but I believe I used an air compressor with its regulator set completely off, then slowly opened it until the fuel regulator started to flow air (through the fuel side). This ensured that it wasn't stuck closed.

Then I either blew on or used a foot pump on the compressor inlet of the fuel regulator (the turbo part...I know this is confusing) and even just a little pressure should cause the regulator to close. Release this pressure and it should flow again. This ensured it wasn't stuck open and was flowing in relation to the air pressure input.

I guess you could play with the knobs or have a regulator on the end of an air gun to more accurately measure the pressure going into the fuel side and compressor inlet

3. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Pull the gas tank and check your fuel pump,...if you have spark now but not running, it's the fuel pump or relay. Your gas issue has likely been the fuel system check valve passing fuel when the pump WAS running. Too bad you're so far away...a couple of hours would get it running right as rain! If you replace the pump, DO NOT buy the 20 pump that's flooded our markets.

jeff

Attached Files: