1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Thoughts on bobber conversions

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by ColtonS3290, Aug 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ColtonS3290

ColtonS3290 Member

I've had my bike for some time now, it's a 1983 xj750 maxim. I have already modified the seat for a some rider. It's not the greatest looking, but its functional. I've been debating on bobbing it out, I've seen some cool looking bobbers out there but most of them have had the air boxes and replaced with pods and electrical all worked over, and what not. I guess my question is what are people thoughts on bobbing out bikes and if it's worth it or not? There is so much I dont k ot about bikes and how they run as far as exhaust functions with the engine and all that fun stuff.

2. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Personally I just don't like the look at all...
    And suspect all the mods change geometries and weight loading and make the bike handle poorer than the optimum set up by the manufacturer.

But that's just me, I've never actually ridden one.

Bosen likes this.
  3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I like them when they are done right and more importantly, finished! There's too many wrecked bikes out there because someone had the little time it takes to take a bike a part and saw off some things but none of the time or money required to finish one. It's only worth it if you want one and will be keeping it in the end, it definitely won't be worth what you put into it ($$ and labor) when done if you were to sell it. Heck i restroed mine to stock and I'd be lucky to sell for half of what I spent on parts.

That said, all the good bobber builders had to start somewhere. To quote, if you don't know much about bikes I would recommend you start by refurbishing your bike to stock and learn that way. There are plenty of resources here to assist you with things in stock form. Once you go custom, your support diminishes. You can also see if there is a bike club near you. Cleveland has one called Skidmark garage, basically a bunch of builders, hobbyists, etc. and there is always a pool of talent to pull from and people to teach. They offer welding classes and you work together to restore/build/customize your bike.

Bosen, sybe, k-moe and 1 other person like this.
  4. twerth

twerth Member

I don't like the bobber style, so take this for what it's worth. I think 90% of the time, bobbing a bike results in an unsafe, unridable, unsellable POS. Craigslist is littered with these failed experiments.

a100man likes this.
  5. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Ooo, good answers there, each one of them. Dipping your toe in by taking on a bobber build is just not a good idea.
    Do a resto first?

Bosen and k-moe like this.
  6. Bluegray57

Bluegray57 Active Member

I think ive seen more posts on CL advertising half done bobbers than any other style. The excuses for them not being finished are varied but predictable. Why ruin a perfectly good bike?

7. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

I very much understand people's opinions on bobbers and they have sound reasoning. I will say that I have made myself a bobber of sorts. It's not the prettiest thing, probably doesn't handle like a stock bike, but I kept the airbox! I ride the heck out of it. When it's not pouring down rain or below freezing, I'm riding. Ridden it back and forth to Iowa a few times now. To each their own, like many will agree your $$$, your bike, do as you see fit. Just keep in mind everyone here is simply trying to help you in the best way they can

8. Sal Raciti

Sal Raciti New Member

I think most people start a bobber project cause they think it's gonna be cheap to just take off a few things and add a new seat. Once they get inside and realize how much work it's gonna be to make it look right, they end up on Craigslist with a "lots of extra parts" subject. I have a xj650 bobber that I put alot of time into and I'm still not done.
    It all comes down to what you want to ride and how much effort you want to throw at it. I didn't like the stock look of my bike so I changed it to what I would feel comfortable on. If your not planning on doing alot of work, don't do it, half ass bobbers look lame and cheap.

Jetfixer, SpearChucker and sybe like this.
  9. sybe

sybe Active Member

As other's said, find a bobber look you like. look at the xj frame and see if its the right frame for this type of project. If it is then take inventor of all the parts and costs and list it on a spread sheet, then all the tools and time it should take for each task. then clear the cost with the wife (if there is a wife), if there is no wife then keep the xj as stock and buy a triumph bobber black. The cost to tool up, buy parts, buy replacement parts for the parts you broke and time will be as close or more then it is to buy new.
    Trust me... These bikes are fun to ride and B**** to deal with if something isnt right. Cough cough carbs.... pods... carbs..

Jetfixer and SpearChucker like this.
  10. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

and then double it!

Bosen likes this.
  11. Richard Elbon

Richard Elbon Active Member

I come from the finished street rod world and that arena has had a growing number of alarmingly putrid ratrods. I look at the bobbers the same way. If they are correctly engineered and finished they can be acceptable.

Bosen likes this.
  12. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

If you want a bobber, find someone's project and finish it.

There are enough hacked-up half-baked project bikes out there that starting up another one makes no real sense.

Personally, I am not a fan of bobbers. They came from fixing wrecked bikes and trying to make a heavy pig of a surplus Harley to actually have some performance. On a well engineered Japanese bike there isn't a whole lot of non-functional stuff to remove. You start to cut into things that matter to either comfort or operation of the bike pretty quickly.

13. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Lot's of negative here. Not many like or have ridden a Bobber style bike they're sure they are not good riding motorcycles.
    A safe way is (if your bike is now running and fully functional) only do what you can and still keep the bike in running road-worthy condition. If you take it apart down to the frame and hundred pieces it can be a daunting task to get it back on the road again. What can happen to projects (big ones) is many guys simply loose the excitement and thrill of big easy changes (saws-all cutting, buying tanks, big tires, seats, etc that will look cool when done but the nitty gritty work takes dedication and a good work ethic. Lack of motivation is the killer. To quote B. B. King "The Thrill is Gone"at that point you're dead. Projects of any any type are more a personality test than welding, painting skill test. Have a plan an do something every day, every week. Be like Michelangelo, remove everything that doesn't look like a motorcycle that's pretty much a Bobber. "Bob" is old time slang for "to cut short" In the 1920s' girls would "bob" their hair I. E. a really short hair cut. Sorry for the long post but I'm sick and had to install a new furnace over the last few days, ugh. No excitement there, so I'm just chilling with my coffee, un-laxing on a rainy Saturday.
    Cheers, 50gary

14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i don't think four cylinder shaft drive bikes make good bobbers, it can be done but if you start with a xs650 it would be a lot easier

Jetfixer and hogfiddles like this.
  15. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

Colton asked or opinions. Opinions he got.

I have never eaten an earthworm, but I am fairly sure they are not good food.

I've sat on a few bobbers. Found them uncomfortable. I know for a fact that missing fenders will make dirt and water spray all over.

That's pretty solid advice.

If only all these bobber builders were actually Michelangelos... A lot of them are more like the guy at the meatpacking plant, slicing flesh away until only bones remain, at which point the carcass is only good to be ground up.

UJMs are already pretty barebones. There really isn't a whole lot on them that "doesn't look like a motorcycle"

Jetfixer likes this.
  16. 50gary

50gary Active Member

It's solid advice mainly because it's constructive. Do what you like but just keep it running. Ex; If you want to change the tail light don't take the old one off until you have a new one and a plan to make it fit.
    Cheers, 50gary

Jetfixer likes this.
  17. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Oh, ..and there is no way that a 750 Maxim is a UJM, it's highly styled from end to end.
    Cheers,

18. Kornbread

Kornbread New Member

This is what I did. Found a kid that had ripped a 650 apart and "built" a bobber. I can't criticize him, he worked with the skill and budget he had. What sold me is that it ran surprisingly well. Took it home and did everything "right". I would not be afraid to ride it anywhere now. Cut rear frame behind the battery, no front fender, rear fender was cut and lowered, solo seat, no airbox and pods. Pods get a lot of hate around here, but mine must be an exception because it works extremely well with them.

Shortly after I finished it I got a phone call from a buddy that was hanging out at a Harley show at the closest dealer. I thought what the heck, and rode it over there. That bike got more attention than any of the expensive Harleys sitting on the lot next to it. People love what is built, not how much money you've dumped into it.

And if you don't think the XJ makes a good bobber, you just haven't seen the right one! Wish I knew how to upload pics...

19. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You need to use Photobucket or another hosting site, and link the pics (6th icon from the right on the toolbar)

20. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you would be surprised how tasty they are when prepared correctly. Had a Cambodian woman serve them to me.

Just like Bobbers nice if you prepare them properly

k-moe likes this.