1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb troubles

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Depewboyz, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Depewboyz

Depewboyz New Member

Sorry everyone to be full of questions, however I’m having some strange carb issues on my 85 XJ700 Maxim X. So for the past month I’ve been having the issue where when I get to 5,000 RPM’s all power on the bike stops and it bogs down. However last week I replaced the coils with new dyna coils and that got rid of the bogging part, now it just has no power. What is not making sense to me is that the PO put pods on which made me think the bike is running lean, however I ran the tank 100% empty yesterday and whenever I was running on fumes it had all the power I needed and I got up to 7,000 RPM’s??? So is there some sort of issue where it could be getting to much fuel?? Any help would be appreciated!

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

It's very possible that you are running rich, there may be another carb issue or the PO may have rejetted carbs with jets that are too big. Have you pulled the carbs off yet to inspect and see what jets are in there? What do the plugs look like?

3. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Your carbs were designed to work in conjunction with an airbox.
    The elimination of the airbox has altered the pressures at the carb inlet, at the venturi, inside the diaphragm chamber, everywhere.
    You are now tasked with engineering new jetting sizes, main jet needle shape and size, throttle slide spring rate, and diaphragm chamber hole size.
    or
    find an airbox.

4. Depewboyz

Depewboyz New Member

Would it make sense to stiffen the spring? Theoretically if too much air is coming in then it would be lifting the slide too much letting too much fuel in which would be causing it to run rich? Stiffening the spring would compensate for that right?

5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

You need a weaker spring.
    Suppose you put your hand over the carb inlet with the motor running.
    This will create suction and lift your throttle slides.
    What is happening is the opposite of this scenario.
    Your slides are opening until 5,000 rpm then stuttering and becoming chaotic.
    Think of the airbox as your hand over the inlet, it's like a power-assist for your throttle slides.
    What you've described is text book symptom of what happens when the airbox is removed.

Jetfixer likes this.
  6. Depewboyz

Depewboyz New Member

Oh ok that makes sense to me. I could just experiment with cutting off half a coil of the spring to shorten it some. Now that I’m hearing it outloud that could very well be the only issue besides needing different jets that I have. If the slide isn’t able to open as much because of the pods that could be causing it to not let fuel into the emulsion tube.

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

image.jpeg

Jetfixer, fiveofakind, k-moe and 2 others like this.
  8. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Cutting it will make it stiffer. Hard concept to explain but a similar material spring with less coils has a higher spring rate than one of the same length with more coils.

9. hogfiddles

Think of it as putting a straighter piece of metal there

10. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

If you cut a section off it will be easier to mount the hat, therefore less force holding slide closed. Cutting a section out is what is recommended by the commercial stage 3 jet kits.

11. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Dave that is a perfect picture.........

12. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Most backyard hot rodders correctly understand the airbox restricts air flow on their XJ.
    What they don't understand is how they upset the balance of the carburation by eliminating it.
    Let's ignore the fuel and just consider the airflow.
    The little hole at the top of the venturi (or the hole in the throttle slide) is what controls the rise and fall of the throttle slide.
    The spring is spec'd to hold the slide against the idle stop screw at idle, 1000 rpms.
    It is also spec'd to require redline, say 10,000 rpms to open all the way.

What the backyard mechanic really needs is, I'll call it an airflow machine.
    In the case of a 700-X he would hook his BS33 Mikuni to the machine and set it to flow 87,500 cc's of air per minute.
    700 cc's /4 cylinders x 1,000 rpm's /2 (4 strokes or 2 rpm's are required per cylinder fill).
    This would mimic idle conditions and he'd want to visibly verify the slide is against the idle stop screw.
    Gradually increase airflow and immediately watch the slide rise, at 875,000 cc's per minute of airflow he'd want to verify the throttle slide is all the way open.
    At 10,000 rpm's redline it will be flowing 10x idle.

Below 5,000 rpm's the airbox is not offering any restriction. After that it is and that is where the problems start when trying to run without it.

Once the throttle slides are opening correctly he can move on to ensuring fuel flow to match the airflow.
    The ideal ratio is between 13 and 13.5 parts air to fuel. This is where the dyno comes in by measuring the free oxygen in the exhaust.

This might be simplifying things, just trying to explain just doing jetting changes without slide mods can leave you blue in the face.

chacal likes this.
  13. hogfiddles

The slides don't contact the idle screw

14. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Thanks Hogfiddles you’re correct. The slides bottom out in the carb body and the butterfly sets idle.

15. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Too complicated for me. Just install the correct airbox and jets and enjoy the ride.

Jetfixer likes this.
  16. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Amen!

17. Depewboyz

Depewboyz New Member

I sure would love to do that. If only they were laying around at part stores lol

18. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

I have a few sitting around here.
    (Your just north of the border parts store).
    Ps including air filter and carb boots.

Jetfixer likes this.
  19. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and go back to stock airbox and stock jets ( air and fuel jets ) for your carbs......
    Pods = Problems. Period

The performance gain factor or cool factor for having pods is so over-rated.

You will be much happier will when your bike is dialed in when it has all of its stock parts back on.

Jetfixer likes this.
  20. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if you go back to stock, your going to need those springs not cut up. so rather than cut the spring, put a split-shot or dime or nickle in the slide so it's harder to lift