1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rear Tire Recommendation

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by camelCase, Sep 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. camelCase

camelCase Member

I'm ordering a rear tire for my '82 XJ Maxim 550. Current tire specs are 130/90 16 72H.

I do about 120 highway miles per week so a high-mileage tire is important. Also would like something that has good handling and will perform in adverse conditions (rain, dust, oil slicks etc). Budget is <$150. I'm not riding a rocket, but I like to open up the throttle and hit the turns.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd appreciate it. There's so many options out there and this is my first bike. Want to do this right.

2. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I have had very good service and mileage with Bridgestone 703 tires.

3. Mototimothy8

Mototimothy8 Member

My dad had metzler laser Tecs on my seca. Finally wore out after 18k miles. And that was after sitting for almost 8 years not riding it. I bought the newer ones. Their tread compound is a little different, but they heat up fast and become very tack once warm. Smooth ride and great fuel mileage. I think a tear is $120-150. They also are excellent it wet weather with the front tire installed.

4. kboehringer

kboehringer Active Member

CamelCase,
    Looking for all those items in a budget friendly tire is (in my opinion) unlikely. High Mileage tires rarely provide good handling and good adverse condition properties. Some cheapo tires provide NONE of those characteristics (i.e. SHINKO).

However, I have found that the Pirelli ROUTE is an INCREDIBLE value. I have Pirelli ROUTE tires on all my "Vintage" bikes and Pirelli Angel GT's on my modern machine. The ROUTE tire has a good tread pattern for the twisties yet sheds water very well too. My experience has been about 7000 miles and I am an AGRESSIVE corner cutter and, like you, I open the throttle quite a bit. The Pirelli is not priced in the BARGAIN BASEMENT like some of the offerings from Asia but is a good value tire. Looks like about $85 for your rear.

CAUTION!!!!! Having mis-matched tires is just about as bad as worn out or overaged tires. Tires work together as a SYSTEM. It would appear you could likely get both PIRELLI tires for about your budget amount. I strongly recommend replacing them both. If, you end up burning up the back a little faster, replacing one is normally ok if the tires are the same brand/model/tread pattern. Whatever tire you select..... replace them both!

Regardless of "VISUAL CONDITION" motorcycle tires are recommended for replacement at NO MORE THAN 7 years. Tire manufacture dates are on the side walls.

Sincerely,
    KURT

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    StarGeneral likes this.
  5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

get a set of shinko 712 full set delivered is 125$

ride nice in the rain and have high enough speed rating to exceed top end of your bike.

https://www.revzilla.com/shinko-tires

you should run a matched set of tires

k-moe likes this.
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Shinko Tour Master tires will fit the bill also.
    I haven't got a lot of miles on my set yet, but they can outride my comfort level in the wet ( I did not grow up in a semi-arid desert. I do know what rain is). , and are pretty good on gravel/ dirt roads if you have that need.

7. Mic

Mic New Member

New guy here. I just put on the Michelin Commander ll on the rear, I used the 130/90-16 "front" on the rear. Why, I am on the aggressive side in the corners and wanted the round tire, it is a bit on the tall side but clears everywhere, I could use a bit taller gearing anyway. The correct rear tire 130/90-16 that Michelin sells is squared off, for straight riding only it appears. I nor the dealer could find any info on it or why this tire size is a different shape than the other Commander ll tires. Michelin does show a tire size MT90-16 not sure of its shape. Does anyone have any info on this tire, is it round? I rode the twisties today, the tire performed excellent. the bike turns in nicely and is stable These tires are suppose to perform in the wet, with good mileage, so far so good. What am I riding, a garage find 1983 XJ750 MK Midnight Maxim. Currently 1300 miles on the clock, still breaking it in.

8. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I have used Shinko tires of several bikes with good results , may not be best tire if your into road racing , but for general use they work good and got good mileage out of them.

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Not a horrible practice, but your rear tire will wear a lot faster since it's not meant to be used in the rear (I got less than half the expected mileage when I used on the rear).
    Did you make sure to set the rotaton opposite of the arrow? The plies overlap differently on a front than on a back (unless it's a universal tire), and can seperate under acceleration when a front tire is used on the rear without the rotation being flipped.

There are rear tires that come in that size, but maybe not in the model you selected.

10. Mic

Mic New Member

K-moe, great info I doubt the rotation was switched as you suggested but I will check tonight and also pass this info on to the fellow at the tire store. Very informative, thank you. I need to call Michelin to get info on that tire size. I can say the bike turns very well with this set up. I will give myself more time finding the correct rear tire in the future. Thank you

11. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

You can usually get 2 F to 1 R on the XJ's.....all of them, only significant change I ever found was true Air shocks.....like Fournale....v expensive, but they DID increase my mileage, decrease my R tyre wear by a good ...3K miles, or more....take an awful lot of miles/tyres to 'pay' off the shocks though!!!

12. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Just noticed I need a rear... a Shinko I replaced at about 11K miles and now has 18K and change...
    Should I only be getting 7500 miles out of a rear tire? Thought they would last 10K...

This one the thread is actually starting to show.

13. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

That is actually good wear , my Buell had dunlops got 5k out of it , put a shinko on and got 7k when I sold bike to a co worker . The front dunlop lasted 9k before I replaced it again put a shinko on .

14. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

I run the Shinko Tourmasters tires on my '82 XJ750 Maxim......great tire for a great price.....

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  15. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Well, guess I'm going back to them. Just scored a F-R set for $113...

upload_2018-12-30_23-15-17.png

16. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

Tim,

Good price for 2 tires.....

17. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

I really like the brigestone BT45 (battleaxe) set.
    Beats the pants of the Metzlers for keeping round on city riding.
    Not sure on mileage Mind you.

18. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

I've rocked Dunlop 404's since I've started riding. They've been pretty good, but I don't really have anything to compare them with. Just had a rear battle ax bt45 delivered this week. We'll see how they stack up; hopefully well since they cost twice as much! Ha ha.