1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

have a few questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Salatino, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Salatino

Salatino New Member

I have a 82 xj650 maxima , I was wondering where you guys are setting the gap on those NGK plugs . I thought I read somewhere on here if they are brand new not to mess with them , just install it. In the book it says between 28-32 if your not using the metric system. another question kind of dumb but on the tank petcock is the smaller 3/16 line actually carry fuel to the other side of the rack with a vacuum or something else? lol This is the first bike I have ever had with 4 carbs. thanks in advance on any info. oh yeah bike is stock ,still has the air box incase you needed to know. After this thing has been sitting since 1997 I did get it to fire up for a few seconds after I fixed a few small thing. cleaned the plugs and seen it had spark on all 4 and thought I would give it a shot. didn't have the tank on or any fuel lines but it does run. Few shots of carb cleaner and afrter about 15 seconds it started. I was a lil surprised , haven't even cleaned the carbs out either. lol

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Welcome to the family of XJ , if bike has sat, very good chance carbs need a full tear down , all rubber seals replaced . I recommend a 1 gallon of Berrymans carb dip ....spray cleaner will not cut it it will not get into all the small passages . If you pull carbs and pull float bowl it is full of gum black, green,red are typical shades ...I have a spare set on bench right now nice black shade and seized floats, had froze slides , and butterfly stuck closed .... recommend you click on upper right corner of the home page xj4ever read church of clean and information overload hour. Chacal sells most parts for the XJ first class service , to order IM him he will give you a code to order.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

always gap a new plug. I set to the middle 30

2 nipples on the carb one is the fuel line 6 mm to carbs the other if for a 4mm vacuum hose that goes to the vacuum port on the carb to motor manifold boots.
    3 should have a cap one tube will be un capped waiting for the 4 mm vacuum hose.
    the petcock is vacuum operated, gas will flow only in the PRIme position without vacuum

4. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

Yamaha never ever produced a Maxima....

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Usually when you buy a plug it will come pre-gapped, however it's good practice to check teh gap and adjust if necessary.

As mentioned, the smaller line on the petcock is the vacuum line, which is what automatically shuts the petcock off when the engine is not running.

Since this is your first XJ you should start with a good read before doing any work.
    Read This First

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Maxima is a Nissan. You would have a Yamaha Maxim.

fiveofakind likes this.
  7. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

Just having a little fun here.....no malice intended