1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Just bought an 1981 XJ650 "Maxim" for $250 on Craigslist. Help needed!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by novagri, Apr 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. novagri

novagri New Member

Hey everyone,

I just bought a very well-used 1981 XJ650 for a grand total of $250 on Craigslist. I bought it with the intention of fixing it up and potentially keeping or reselling it. The only problem is, I've never even touched a motorcycle in my life. I know a good amount about engines (mainly car experience), yet I know little-to-nothing about motorcycles. All I really know about the bike is that it's an '81 650 (the owner claims it's a Maxim, is this likely?), and that the engine turns over when the starter is jumped. It doesn't run, though. The previous owner said that this is likely due to wiring. Looking at it in more detail, the owner is probably correct, because the wiring on this thing is completely screwed. Its clutch cable also doesn't stay connected, so the owner included in extra, but that one also seems to be too long. Is this standard? Do I have to find a specific type of clutch cable, or is there some way to tighten / tension it? The fuel tank also has a small hole, but nothing that couldn't be welded. It doesn't seem to have a petcock or anything, though, is that normal? It looks like there's a fuel line, but I don't see how it connects to the tank. The owner included a battery, which he said is functional, but I don't even see terminals where the battery should be connected. I anticipate that I'll have to rewire the whole thing.

My big questions are:
    • If I have to rewire this whole thing, is there a simple wiring diagram that I could follow that includes just the basics? Like is there any way to minimally wire the bike so that it would be easier?
    • What's the best way to rewire it?
    • Is there any place I can find a new wiring harness for cheap, or am I just going to have to salvage what I have?
    • Is there any way to shorten a clutch line, or do I just have to get one that fits? Also, how do you even attach the clutch line to the handle?
    • This is the stupidest question by far, but how do you get one of these things to start? Is it a kick-start? Because I can't seem to find a kick-starter. Where would it be located? Or is there some other way to start it?
    • Does anybody have a diagram or picture of how the fuel line is supposed to attach to the tank?

Thanks so much in advance. I can include pictures if I need to!

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Hello novagri, I think you need to post 5 times before you can post a pic.
    Just post 4 more replies here then post a bunch of pics of your bike.
    There are many astute eyes on this forum and can give you an idea if your project to revive this bike is advisable.
    Fixing it up to sell is a fools game. You can sink $400 into the carburetors alone and still not have a running bike, as you say the electrics are also suspect.
    Consider brakes - $300 for new pads, shoes, lines, caliper and mc kits, new tank - somethings can't be welded - $200, petcock $50, tires another $300, budget another $300 for cables, hoses, bulbs, wires, oil & filter?? We're already up to $1500 + your $250 purchase and we haven't addressed the cosmetics.
    Show us the pics.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Oh my!
    there's a post up now with wiring diagrams, use those
    the best way to rewire it? test each wire as you go
    new harness...ebay,but you need one from the exact same model (use yours) or make your own
    get a new clutch cable ....info@xj4ever.com
    how do you get one of these things to start?...push the button or push the bike, button is easier

4. novagri

novagri New Member

So I didn't even mention the fact that somebody chopped the tail off of it and tried to turn it into some kind of café racer. I'm going to have to make a whole new seat entirely, which is a mess. I'll take more pics when I have time and upload those, but the pictures I have right now don't really capture the magnitude of the mistake that is this bike.

5. novagri

novagri New Member

Fortunately, the carbs were just rebuilt and rejetted, and the bike does have some aftermarket exhaust pipes which I could part out for a decent amount I bet.

6. novagri

novagri New Member

It's also got an aftermarket fork / front suspension or whatever it's called, and the seller was kind enough to include the original setup and an extra wheel, tire, and front brake setup. So I do have a little bit of extra stuff to work with, should any of it be too messed up.

7. novagri

novagri New Member

I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to make a new seat, I'll probably just cut some plywood and foam, then staple some vinyl over it or something.

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

rule #1 states "never believe anything the previous owner says" to put it another way, if you didn't do it, it needs done
    i'd bet money the carbs haven't been rebuilt

Ryengoth, k-moe and chacal like this.
  9. novagri

novagri New Member

Here are some pics, finally.

Attached Files:

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

it is a Maxim seca 650 was 1982. you have a non yics motor.

you need to ohm out the ignition system to see if it is in spec.

eQNlgxq.jpg m1csRY7.jpg minimum wiring diagrams

you could have a bad starter button that needs some cleaning. the handle bars are what grounds the starter button when pushed yours are painted which means no ground. easy fix. follow the harness from the right control back to the harness where the connector connects to main harness you will see a black wire coming from control to connector you will see no mating wire in the harness connector. you could add a wire to the harness connector or just splice in a wire to the black wire from control and put a ring terminal on the wire big enough to put under the ignition coil mounting bolt that should solve your starter problem

11. XJ550H

first things first. lets ID your bike get the long vin from the goose neck and the short vin from the motor and run it through this decoder on this link
    http://www.dissingermoto.com

this link gives you detail on how to do it by hand
    TECH TOPIC: Model ID and VIN's

there are also safety relays and switches to be discussed.
    does your neutral light come on?

12. XJ550H

up date on controller, just looked at my spare control it has no black wire. odd.

if you have no black wire do the following
    take a wire put 2 ring terminals on it . connect one to the ignition coil mounting bolt put the other on the screw that holds the control together make sure screw is clean at the head and threads that will give you a temporary ground

factory ground wire runs from starter button hold down screw inside to connector.

13. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Captain Brody to Quint: You're going to need a bigger bank account..........

Ryengoth and Franz like this.
  14. XJ550H

15. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Hmm. Yeah, in a rebuild process on an 82 550 Maxim too. You have quite the mess there. IMO it will not be a good one flip with the number of XJ models out there selling in garage kept shape for less than 2 grand. If it is a long term side project, for fun, with no budget you can find the parts you need to do it.

16. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

Your $250 bike will turn into $3k bike very quickly......if you do things right.....

Right now you have a parts bike.....part it out if you are looking to make a little money