1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Soon to be new rider / XJ650H

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Huascar L. Hernandez, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Huascar L. Hernandez

Huascar L. Hernandez Member

So, have my permit, and have my MSP for PA end of April. 2 days ago I bought a XJ650H. Its not in the best of shapes, requires lot of small repairs. Motor runs and gears shift, so I'm hoping I wont have to do much engine work (never done it but not afraid of trying). I've tackled small electrical work, car suspension work, oil changes, carb cleaning (snow blower) so hoping this will help me out in this new adventure. Anyways, thats a bit about me, now to the important stuff.

Side note, bike has about 42K miles.

I'm starting to compile a TODO list and had a few questions as well. List as follows.
    • starter motor replacement plus repair kit
    • Starter solenoid replacement
      • Install fuse box
    • Clutch Handle
      • Replace lever
      • replace Clutch safety switch
    • Oil and filter change
    • air filter replacement
    • Clean / rebuild carbs
    • Rear Wheel
      • Replace tire
      • repair rear brakes/replace shoes
      • Inspect Bearings
    • Gas Tank
      • Clean
      • Replace/repair petcock
      • replace fuel filter
      • replace fuel lines
    • Troubleshoot turn signals (not currently working)
    • Replace fork oil / check(replace) seals
    • replace shaft drive oil
    • Front Wheel
      • replace pads
      • inspect/rebuild brake caliper
      • clean master cylinder / replace brake line
      • inspect wheel bearings
      • Replace tire

Starter motor/starter solenoid needed as starter is damaged (cracked case), wrong size solenoid (wont fit in holder). Clutch lever is broken and I guess I broke the clutch safety switch while removing the lever. Rear brakes missing/damaged rod plus bits. These parts have already been purchased via 750MaximSeattle (thanks again).

Rest are gonna get done but trying to do what the bike needs to "run". Any thoughts on what else I should do or musts? Or do while I'm there anyways? During solenoid install I'll be adding a fusebox (currently its running inline blade fuses, not a big fan of them just kinda flopping around. Whats the opinion on thin strand silicone wire? Lot more flexible then the stuff I see on the bike but dont know if there's a valid reason not to use it.

What's your all opinions on threads, open new thread as issues/questions arise or continue single thread format? Also, do I save pictures on the site somehow or do I link them from offsite (google pics and what not). Tried linking on private message but comment wouldn't submit because it looked like spam.

Thanks for any input/suggestions.

2. StahlMaster

StahlMaster Active Member

If the bike runs ok, I'd forgo the carb clean / rebuild. Put some miles on the bike and enjoy.

3. Huascar L. Hernandez

Previous owner jump started it for me but it wouldn't stay running. Assuming that was due to cold start / dirty carbs. Now waiting on electricals to test it properly.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Welcome aboard.

Read This First

And don't buy or replace any parts before diagnosing problems with them.
    If the bike has sat for more than a few years, then a carb rebuild is likely warranted. Rubber parts (particlarly o-rings and shaft seals) age out before they wear out.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

before spending money you want to make sure the motor is running correctly.
    think of the bike as a collection of systems. which it is.
    electrical system= ignition, charging system and battery, lights
    fuel system = gas cap, petcock, carbs
    motor= valves to spec, compression, clutch,

ohm out the ignition system
    ohm out the charging system
    check valve clearances.

fixing the no or low cost items as you wait for parts works best

you have started this thread make it the only thread about your bike.

you will have things to ask about and may find threads for those questions.

here are a few things you can do

Clean and lube the ignition switch

Your Gas Cap and You

Bigfitz's AIRHEAD VALVE ADJUSTMENT with Pics - parts I & II

6. Huascar L. Hernandez

@Moe, thank you. Started reading last night from links.
    @xj550, Thanks for the links. I was about post post in the "what did you do today" thread cause the gas cap is exactly what I did, but only cleaned and lubed. I knew I'd probably have to go back and take a closer inspection of seals/o-rings just didn't want to risk getting the gas cap stuck since it was doing that already.

On to a general question. Anyone have a link to a full write up of cleaning procedure for our carbs? I've seen general, remove carbs, clean, but not detailed process on cleaning. Like how tight, loose, depth to set things or anything else specific to our bikes. What's the thought on a carb kit from ebay? Seen a few around the 30-40 dollar range with what looks to be needle, jets, gaskets, o-rings, springs all times 4 for all 4 carbs. All the jazz.

7. XJ550H

just cleaning the gas cap is a useful step. you will know the vent is working. later you can replace the o rings and seal if needed
    here is xj4ever how to links
    http://www.xj4ever.com/downloads.html
    you will like this one too.
    Clean and lube the ignition switch

Inside your Carbs

THE SECRET LIFE OF CARBURETORS

Replacing your Hitachi throttle shaft seals

church has many links to photos

IN THE CHURCH OF CLEAN
    like this one
    http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?threads/first-time-taking-apart-carburetors-lots-of-pics.48063/

Setting the fuel levels

8. k-moe

All of the major how-to writeups are in the first linked article on the Read This First thread.
    The writeups that are more model specific are in the DYI section.

9. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, order yourself a deluxe rebuild kit from xj4ever. That kit combined with breaking the rack and making absolutely sure everything is exceptionally cleaning will lead to a very happy Yamaha. Of course while the carbs are off for cleaning is the perfect time to check and reshim the valves if necessary. Then when you bolt the fresh rebuilt, bench synced, wet set carbs back on for a vacuum sync and colortune you will be just as happy as your Yamaha when it's all said and done.

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  10. Huascar L. Hernandez

yeah, i was thinking xj4ever but my wallet is like "why chacal when ebay is so much cheaper" and my brain goes "yes, cheaper price, cheaper parts". And my heart is like "yeah, wallet has a point". So still undecided, waiting on starter so I can at least fire it up and then I'll make my decision.

Question, does the air box have some kind of spring load mechanism to keep the filter in place or did the PO just buy the wrong filter? I just removed the air filter today which was SCREWED on to the box so it would stay in place. Not sure if spring is necessary to push it into place and PO lost it or its just wrong size.

Also, PITA to find oil filter locally. 3 Advanced auto parts in my vicinity and non have it. Gonna have to drive out 1/2 hour and hope they actually have one. Autozone doesn't have them either. Other then ordering online, any recommendations?

11. XJ550H

the air filter cover holds the oem (stock) filter in place.
    recent thread about this

12. k-moe

There are plenty of Ebay sellers that will happily sell you parts for your carbs (well, the whole bike really) that don't fit correctly. If you go that route be extremely careful what you buy, and who you buy from.
    Given how critical the carbs are to enjoying your motorcycle, it's a false economy to buy the wrong/ cheap parts for them.
    Some things are fine to get from whomever, but mission critical parts should not be skimped on.

Colin 85 700, Chitwood and XJ550H like this.
  13. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

If you buy from xj4ever, it will be CORRECT part no guess work , yes price sometimes is major factor, my favorite moto is "Buy the best cry once" I have bought things from eBay that did not fit right, and was of dubious origins . You have a good plan of attack .

14. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

I paid premium for my valve cover gatket from xjforever, however, it was made if proppet rubber, nt some chineese plastic, at the same tome bought a jis#2 to replce my "wrong" phiilips.
    Ive never been as happy. Pay once n be happy or pay 3 times and still be pissed off! ;)
    Btw, all the guage bulbs i couldnt find i ordered fit too... :)

15. Huascar L. Hernandez

yeah, I'll probably stick with XJ4Ever when I need important parts. I know I'm either going to need a brand new petcock or at a minimum an repair kit. The one that's on isn't even hooked up to the vacuum hose. I'll post a pic of that once I get to that part of the repairs.
    Here's my current air filter (have one on the way from amazon).
    [​IMG]

Started cleaning rear brakes and damn that was nasty. Once I opened it up a pound of rust and gunk just spilled right out. In the process of sanding the hub and waiting on brakes to come in. oh and the lever on the brake was ceased so had to hammer that out and clean it up with a dremel. I don't even know what that white stuff was.
    [​IMG]

Sooooo, questions and more questions.
    1. Anyone know what this lone black wire is, its in the bundle that go to either the tail lights or rear flashers. And yes, further below, that is the state of the fuses. Have a fuse block on order. Side note, flashers dont even have a fuse on them currently.
    [​IMG]

2. I had to replace the clutch lever and f..ed up the clutch safety switch. Got a new clutch assembly but didnt realize it was from a different year XJ (my fault) so I've got to do a little wiring work to get the plugs just right. Opened up the headlight and saw the rats nest in there. Trying to de-clutter so I could access what I needed and thought best course to get more space is to get everything out of the headlight housing. Got what I could out but there are crimped on cables that reach between bundles. Is this what is supposed to look like? I wouldn't be able to remove the cables without having to snip things. Also, is there supposed to be a lone red wire not attached to anything inside the housing? Found one but dont know where it goes right now.
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, see that white wire in my hand, that goes down the bundle going to the signal lights (guessing) since it was crimpted into the black/blue wire coming from the signal assembly, instead of going through the connector.
    [​IMG]

16. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Xj4ever has the rebuild kit and is a relative easy task..

17. Huascar L. Hernandez

yeah, I'll probably get it from xj4ever. Just need to get to the point were I drain the gas and check out if its just a rebuild or new. They went a little happy on the silicone patchwork.

Side note, found out the single red wire in the headlight housing 12v. Wondering if this is simply an extra line in case I want to add power to something else.

18. XJ550H

black wire is a ground wire for signals double bullet . what is that fuse?

19. Huascar L. Hernandez

It's ignition. I've gone ahead and put in a fuse box to clean it up a bit and have proper fuses. Got some more questions.

1. My right turn signal works but not my left turn signal. Could that be the relay? No click coming from relay for left turn but clicks for right turn. Also, my rear signal lights do not turn on when ignition is on but the fronts do. The right turn rear works just like the front but nothing when signaling left.

2. As for the picture a few posts back, that white wire that was spliced into black/blue from left handle bar connectors. I think I ran it down to a relay but its just marked as relay in the manual so not sure what its for (i think its headlight relay). Its right under the rectifier behind the left side cover. Only thing is it looks like its running to Red/Yellow instead of Black/Blue. Could that be the previous owner having bypassed that relay?\

So, are there any comparable relays I can pick up at autozone, advanced auto parts or another store locally?

Thanks

20. XJ550H

headlight relay location as you said Its right under the rectifier behind the left side cover.

the blinker relay gets power from fuse and sends it to the control . the switch directs voltage to left or right side blinkers. so if 1 side flashes ,relay is good.

does left signal blinker light come on or nothing when switch is moved?

by rear signal lights do you mean tail light or directional?

have you checked the bulbs? or checked for voltage at sockets?

It could also be a broken wire in the control this is very common