1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Middle 2 cylinders not firing

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Wgoodwin, May 8, 2019.

  1. Wgoodwin

    Wgoodwin Member

    Messages:
    41
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Location:
    Arkansas, United States
    So I recently got my 82 seca 750 running from the grave only to realize my middle 2 cylinders arent firing, any ideas on what would cause this?
     
  2. k-moe

    k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

    Messages:
    19,697
    Likes Received:
    6,787
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    The City of Seven Hills
    Start by pulling either the #2 or #3 plug (not both), laying it on the valve cover, and checking for spark.
    The inner cylinders are a pair, and share a coil.
    The outer two are also a pair, and share a coil.
    The reason for only pulling one plug is that the TCI can be damaged if you have both plugs ungrounded at the same time.

    If you don't see spark, then check the other plug. IF you do see spark on one plug but not the other, then suspect a faulty plug and swap the wires to confirm.

    One comon ailment is corroded plug wires. The sparkplug caps are removeable. Unscrew them (lefty-loosey) and if you see any green on the wire, clip them back about 1/8" and reinstall the plug caps.

    If you have to go further than that to get spark then there is another set of procedures and things to check that involve using a multimeter.
     
  3. Wgoodwin

    Wgoodwin Member

    Messages:
    41
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Location:
    Arkansas, United States
    Thanks! I suspected the coil is bad since the plugs are brand new, but im having no luck finding a 2-3 coil online I've only found 1-4 so far
     
  4. k-moe

    k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

    Messages:
    19,697
    Likes Received:
    6,787
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    The City of Seven Hills
    They are the same coil. The only difference is the plug wire length.
    Even new plugs can be bad. Don't go buying parts until you've checked the plugs (swap #2 with #1, and #3 with #4), resistance of the plug caps, primary and secondary resistances of the coils (the manual procedure is wrong. measure plug wire to plug wire, and primary wire to primary wire), checked for corrosion, inspected the wires for cracks, and made sure that the primary side of the coil is plugged in.

    There are affordable alternatives to used OEM coils, so don't get any used ones.

    If the coil tests good, then there are other issues that need to be looked at.
     
  5. Wgoodwin

    Wgoodwin Member

    Messages:
    41
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Location:
    Arkansas, United States
    I'm gonna check everything out tomorrow, burned my hand pretty good on the exhaust tonight so I'm doctoring it for the night now. What would you recommend as an alternative to a used one in case I need to replace one?
     
  6. Chitwood

    Chitwood Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    866
    Likes Received:
    375
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
    Honda CB750 coils are supposed to fit and function. They also have the added benefit of replaceable plug wires. I ha e not done this myself but I believe @Jetfixer can confirm this
     
    Wgoodwin likes this.
  7. Jetfixer

    Jetfixer Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,191
    Likes Received:
    1,503
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Nothern Indiana
    Yes these swap right in , can still be bought new , Cycle Recycle Part 2 sells them 40$ each and also carries the wires and caps . I have ran these for 3 years with no problems , and trust me when I say it can light you up if you touch plug cap :D
     
    Chitwood and Wgoodwin like this.

Share This Page