1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1981 XJ 650 exhaust help

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Raymond Kulow, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Raymond Kulow

Raymond Kulow New Member

Hello,
    While doing a oil change today I realized that my left muffler has rusted through and cracked. So it is now in two pieces. My question is is there any where to get new mufflers that are like the stock ones? (Since I do not want to re-jet the carbs. I’d also like to know how to exactly replace the muffler since the current broken on is welded onto the exhaust pipe coming from the exhaust manifold (sorry I do not know the formal term). I’m new to riding and fixing my bike so much help is appreciate.
    ~Ray

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

You can look on eBay or on the for sale link on this site. There should be a clamp on the muffler unless PO welded muffler on .

3. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

The 650 is different than 750. 650 the muffler goes up past the crossover and into a "Y" that connects to 2 of the exhaust headers

4. Raymond Kulow

Raymond Kulow New Member

Chitwood you are right. I did not know that was all considered muffler. Anyways is there a place where I can just get the muffler up to the Y?

5. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

It's all one welded assembly. With some careful dissection and welding it can be made to accommodate some different mufflers but will lose the factory appearance. I had the same issue, my right side was completely rusted in two pieces. I work at an exhaust shop so I went the dissection route. Not super easy to do but I was not concerned about factory appearance. At some point I will have to do more as every year I find more and more cracks forming further up in the system.

6. Raymond Kulow

Raymond Kulow New Member

Thank you for the help. I do have another question. There is a guy by me that is parting out a 82' xj 750 maxim. He says the exhaust system will fit my 81' xj 650 maxim because the frame and engine are basically the same. Looking at each of the exhaust, the center cross over looks different than the singular tube on my bike. Would his exhaust really fit mine like he says it would?

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

He's wrong. Your frame is not enough like his frame.

The mufflers might fit, but that's all.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019