1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What the cat dragged home

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by JBurch, Jun 28, 2019.

1. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Finally getting around to posting some pictures of what I dragged home last Friday.

Been working on them, washed first layer of dust off; carbs on Black bike throttle shafts stuck, silver bike, carbs in a box. Both bikes no front brakes. Tank on silver bike is full of rust slush and had about a gallon of varnish in it, but it didn't leak, don't know if I can save it, I'll give it a shot. IMG_20190614_173105696.jpg IMG_20190614_173132860.jpg IMG_20190614_173141223.jpg Wednesday I ordered a truck load of parts from Len at XJ4ever; truck load of parts showed up this morning.......that is fast!!!!

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Yes save them keep the silver bike if the is a 650 seca it is some what rare ....keep us informed of progress...:D:D

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

They are both 650 Secas.

ecologito likes this.
  4. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Oy. I’m jelly!!

k-moe likes this.
  5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Nice grab!!!

6. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Found out yesterday that the black bike doesn't balance on the center stand with the front wheel off, wants to nose dive, gonna make service interesting.
    So far rear wheel bearings check ok, brakes good; dumped engine and rear drive oil, change oil filter. Engine oil looked surprisingly fresh/clean, maybe 5 years fresh, didn't know, doesn't hurt to change.
    Front wheel bearings feel good, next is rebuild calipers, master cylinder, change brake hoses, check/grease steering head bearings, change fork oil.

7. k-moe

None of the bikes will balance on the centerstand with the front wheel off.
    Strap the centerstand so it won't accidentally collapse, then put about 50 pounds of weight on the rear of the seat (you need teh rear wheel on the bike for this to work, otherwise use a stands under the front of the lower frame tubes).

Watever you do, don't mention what you piad for them. It'll probably make me cry.

chacal likes this.
  8. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

[QUOTE

Watever you do, don't mention what you piad for them. It'll probably make me cry.[/QUOTE]

To be honest it was more than I wanted to pay, I had to buy the pair. I was hopping to get parts for this one; as it turns out the two are better candidates to be riders that this one; 94,000plus miles!! Compression between 70 and 90 psi, 10 to 15% leak down 20190207_093513_resized.jpg

9. k-moe

Thosse compression numbers are low, but not explainable by the mileage (that's still low for an XJ engine).
    Double-check that you used Yamaha's reccomended procedure, and that the gauge is reading true.
    Valve clearances have to be in spec.
    Did you do both dry and wet tests to see if it might just be stuck rings?
    In any case all three are worth keeping as riders, even if it takes honing and new rings, or a valve job.

10. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Those numbers were dry, wet they picked up 20 psi. Valve clearances were checked and are good.
    I kinda think that when I'm 40 plus psi low from stated minimum, it's kinda tired; it also doesn't help when you find no air cleaner in the air box, and no telling how long it's been missing.
    It may not have helped that the starter is weak and needs brushes at a minimum or replacement.
    Leak down also says it's hurting.

k-moe likes this.
  11. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I was jelly when you said you picked up two 650 Secas. Then you whipped out the third!

12. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

The red one was my first, was hopping it was gonna be get on it and ride it, no such luck. The silver and black bikes were bought as parts one, ride one, they are much closer to riders, I really only need one bike, it just has to be a rider.

13. k-moe

As tempting as an engine swap might be (not that you appear to be thinking about it), it's preferable to keep them all numbers-matching machines given the model and increasing scarcity of complete machines.

14. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Working on the black bike, changing fluids, etc, checking the bike over; find that the fork springs have been replaced; no big deal; going on to service steering head bearings and find that they have been converted to taper rollers; I'll give them a bath and repack. Wonder what other mysteries Ill discover?? Then put the jigsaw puzzle back together.

15. k-moe

Maybe you'll get lucky and the carbs will have already been rebuilt.

16. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Not that lucky..........throttle shafts stuck

17. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

This makes no sense; been working on the black bike, rebuild master cylinder, calipers as the bike had no brakes, actually neither bike had front brakes. Done rebuilding, trying to bleed air out, not getting very far, MC won't pump up. So on a whim I gave the silver bike a look, MC has no fluid, got crap in it, add some brake fluid, pump the lever, crack the bleeder on the right side, get air, keep pumping, bleeding, get fluid, move to the left same thing, it pumps up hard, here's the MC DSCF0866.JPG DSCF0867.JPG

18. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Fill the reservoir, tie the lever to the handlebar, and open the bleeder. It may take a little bit but as long as the lines are free from obstruction eventually fluid will flow. Once fluid is there, close the bleeder, refill reservoir, untie the lever and bleed "normally " by pumping the lever, holding, and cracking the bleeder open

19. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Once all the brown stuff gets soft, get it out of there. Also look and make sure you have fluid moving around that little hole in the middle. When it gets pressure going have glasses on or something so it will not splash up to your eye. That little hole allows air bubbles to come back to the MC and allow the clutch line to dump the hydro pressure that allows the clutch to engage fully.

If that brown stuff is down in the MC of that one bike, it might not even pump up pressure until it is cleaned. If the MC was dry and that little hole was full of brown stuff, you might have to break the MC down and clean it from the inside. Good luck.

20. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Oh, I know clean out the crapola; I surprised myself, that after tear down, cleaning and rebulding of MC and calipers on the black bike, and them not being cooperative bleeding out; I go to the silver bike, the MC is full of crap, put fluid in and it bleeds out and gives a firm lever in less than 5 minuets. Black bike still does not have a firm lever after more than an hour of pumping/bleeding.
    I was just going with the irony.