1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1996 BMW R1100GS

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes the ride is wonderful! On the back roads in my area (lots of bumps do the sand minds, cranberry marshes and logging trucks) this bike is wonderful! I own a sports bike (Bandit 1250S) and they don't like the back roads here in my area of WI. The BMW is going to fill the gap. The need for power and smooth riding was needed in my stable. The KLR was okay, but just no throttle smiles. Nothing wrong with the KLR, I just don't ride dirt or heavy sand anymore. Can't wait to get this GS back on the road with all the weight cut.

k-moe likes this.
  2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got the oil cooler relocated and mounted. I now need to find a shop or learn how to build my own oil lines. I am guess there really is not that much oil pressure on the lines so I could build them out of the original lines and some good fuel clamps.
    [​IMG]BMW oil cooler by Tim Brown, on Flickr

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Any shop that makes hydraulic lines can do the job. You could use clamps to cobble something together, and it would work fine. But who wants ugly lines on a classy European machine?

Are you sure that you want the oil cooler that close to a header?

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I have seen many do the same thing, I guess I could move it up a little but then getting to the mounting bolts is a issue. I guess I could make new brackets and put it up to the mid area. I too question how close it is. Most of the time the bike will be moving so I hope it will not affect it. I will see what I can find in my small town. I don't know if the semi truck shop would help me out or just LOL at me.

5. k-moe

I'd get lines made (where is there a truck shop that dosen't have at least one biker?), keep the originals, and monitor oil temperature at the cooler (infared thermometer should suffice). As long as it's cooling the oil to around 230-250º you'll be fine.

Timbox likes this.
  6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up on that, k-moe. I think I will see if I can flip the cooler in place and see how that looks today.

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Working on the oil lines today, just wanted to show the space between the cooler and the exhaust. The lower cooler line looks like I can make it work, the upper, still playing with that.
    [​IMG]DSCN0322 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0321 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got some lines installed to the cooler. Started to wire up the directional's and tape up the wires. The main wiring harness coating had fallen off for what ever reason, so as I am re-wiring things I am taping it all back up. BMW loves tie wraps, so I too am using them to secure things out of the way once tapped up. Got the all the lights on and so far the new gauge is wired correctly. The Oil, Nuturel, clock and back lighting is all working. Looking forward to starting it to see if I have any oil leaks and if the Tach will work off the single wire. I am sure I need to program the gauge for the bike.

Need to get the speedo mounted as well, the magnet on the wheel and then measure and input that in the gauge as well.

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

All wires are connected, seems to be okay....lol. I gave her a crank and she fired so that is good, wanted to make sue the ABS system didn't have anything to do with the spark or fuel injection. It is a little warm in the shed, taking a break and hit her later on tonight to see if she runs. Take her down the road I hope. Need the speedo sensor hooked up yet and working...

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Took her out without the speedo sensor in, I just had to go. Well in my haste, yes wait for it....I didn't have a plug in the ABS rear sensor hole. So I got a little hypo oil spray. I only went about 1/4 mile just to feel it anyway. Fixed that right way and when it cools a little will get to the speedo. Bike feels so much better. I think I pulled between 32 and 40 lbs off the top half of the bike.

11. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

We need a pic!

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Here you go:
    [​IMG]DSCN0347 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0348 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0349 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]InkedDSCN0350_LI by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    So the rear fender still needs to be planned and or part sourced. The one mirror is still off and yes the hand guards are going back on. Both the rear foot mounts are coming off once I shorten down the exhaust pipe.

The valve heads need to be painted, the list will continue...along with that back tire..wow needs new shoes!

So far no oil leak from the makeshift lines, but I will have some better lines made when I find a place. It will always be in the back of my mind that they could leak or worse. I have to work on the speedo sending unit today and program the new gauge.

McTavish likes this.
  13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Did a little more tweaking of the tail section, I didn't want to get caught in the rain and get the wiring wet. So for now it does have a rear fender. Also got the magnet speedo working and now to calibrate it.

Chitwood likes this.
  14. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

If I would have had more time I would have stopped in to visit on my way to or from Hayward last week. Would have been cool to see some of these bikes in person.

15. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes it would have, sorry it didn't work out. Maybe next time.

Today I got a chance to take the Throttle Bodies (TBs) off the R1100 today. The plan was to do the throttle shafts as I thought they were loose and or making noise. Pulled the right side off as that one only has on throttle cable to it. Easy to pull off once you watch youtube vids. Went well but I didn't change out the shafts. There was nothing wrong with them but the TB was really dirty, I mean like they were never cleaned in the entire 80K miles or something else is going on. The TBs have a synic screw that I backed out to see what that looked like. I think I found the issue with the bike not running so well and maybe doing a little surging. That was so full or carbon or much or what ever it was. I don't see how either one of the TBs were working as they should have been. The passages for both of the air passages were blocked.

Put it all back together and started it up, didn't need the choke at all and she ran at 930 rpm nicely. I will play with it some more and see what I find out.

As for the Acewell 28xxx gauge I put on the bike, love it. I don't know if I would go with that much cost again but I wanted to try their product. I am still dealing with the fuel indicator and trying to find out if it can just sense the voltage coming from the "low fuel" on the bike. I think I will have to use the "warning triangle" on the gauge and just turn off the fuel indicator.

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got the bike sync done today, took it down the road and WOW. Nice to have it all cleaned up and ready for the next mod. I have to take a bit of the muffler off so I can show off that sexy single sided swing arm tire.

17. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I have been noticing that this bike has been dripping a little gas out of the overflow tubes. Well I thought I should check that out and here is what I found. The two vent tubes in the pic below didn't have any clamps on them. They were just sitting on the nipples and with more gas came more pressure and drip drip!
    [​IMG]20190822_123940 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    The clamps you see are from the top of the gas cap as the rubber goes to the venting on the cap. I replaced those with something not so necessary. Being that all the connection in this pic are under gas all time you would think that it has been altered at sometime. There were compression marks in the rubber so I am not sure what had happened. I could blow air bubbles into the gas tank is how I found the leak. One of the hoses was weak and I think had a tear in it as well. We will see.

Other interesting note and this will I am sure bring up a lot of discussion and or questions. BMW has a factory coating in their gas tanks. This bike is a 96 and I would guess with no rust in or outside the tank that this would be a ethanol issue?
    [​IMG]20190822_123952 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20190822_124000 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Got my hand in there with a rag and did the best I could do. I also hit it with hi pressure air and got as much as I could out. These bikes have a good gas filter in them, a rectangle shaped bag that is about 4" in length attached to the fuel pump and then a can filter before it hits the fuel line.

So is this just from age or is it from being in a country and area that uses Ethanol in their gas?

18. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

probably both

k-moe likes this.
  19. k-moe

The missing clamps could have been caused by a DYI fuel pump replacement, and a lack of sense.

20. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member