1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My Seca II Scrambler Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by radare, Jun 29, 2015.

1. radare

radare Member

Any recommendations on a type or brand. I don't have a lot of bar real-estate for mounting. I was giving some thought to building a set before the trip but gave up due to space.

[​IMG]

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I cant give any specifics about which brand, but I have seen sets that are just meant to be wind deflectors that mount like a bar end mirror. The set I have mount to the bar next to the controls with a two-piece clamp and might be adaptable to your mirror mounts. I picked them up off of Ebay several years ago just to try out and still have them on.

3. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

WOW! Mine cost me all of $12...shipping included :p

But then I rarely go anywhere that requires actual brush to be pushed aside.

5. radare

radare Member

6. xHondaHack

Gotta agree, they are pricey for pieces of molded plastic and a couple of brackets. That's why I was "looking at them".

Might be tough to find them used, but could probably save some dough if you see some.

Tony

k-moe likes this.
  7. radare

radare Member

It's been way, way, way too long since I updated you guys on the scrambler XJ. I've been getting it ready for an 8 day ride out through New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah that I am planning for late May.

Before my big trip this past year, I built a centerstand and added mounts to the frames. This started as a Venture stand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This past years big ride took me out to eastern Utah and back along Southern Colorado.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was wet most of that trip and not quite as prepared for being wet and in snow as I thought. My heated grips quit working near Ouray. I was frozen solid by Wolf Creek Pass. The thing that saved me was a sticky throttle tube. It let me set the engine speed and plug along, hands on the cylinder head.

My focus for this year is on comfort. I want to try and avoid a repeat of the Wolf Creek Pass incident. So in preparation for the next trip, I've added some bar risers and lowering pegs to give me a bit more room and improve comfort while standing. The risers were really done to give me clearance for preload caps, but they really reduced back pain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My old heated grips quit while riding near Ouray so I installed some replacements. These are Oxford's Retro styked grips. I quite like them and they managed to get to 185F while testing in the garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also added some Barkbusters to help keep my fingers from aching so much when riding in rain or snow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's about where things are. I'm waiting on some custom heel guards I had cut to be shipped and have some modifications to make to the shift lever and brake pedal. I'll show those when I get them together.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I feel your pain :) I got stuck in rain, fog then snow. I remember coming down out of the clouds in NC in early spring and was just frozen. Pulled over to the side of the rd at a stop sign got off the bike and started to do some calisthenics just to warm up. Jumping jacks and squats to get the blood flowing. There is just nothing like being chilled on the bike and all you can do is sit on her and try to steal any heat you can from the engine.

Your bike looks great and adding the hand guards is a supper idea. Just keeping the wind off your hands helps so much dry or wet. Do you have any heated gear yet?
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gerbing&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
    I love this stuff and as long as your bike makes enough electrical power to run the gear best money I have ever spent. Normally I can get away with just the jacket and heated hand grips but they make a suite if you need more heat.

Great write up and keep us posted on more trips.

9. radare

radare Member

I took a quick run up the street and back to try out the new guards. Temperature in the high teens with an 11F wind chill. Rode about 15 mins without gloves and my hands weren't painfully cold. I call that a win.

windguards2.jpg

windguards1.jpg

10. radare

radare Member

Do you guys happen to know what the suspension sag should be on an XJ (assuming it's unchanged for the Seca II)? I can't find it documented anywhere but I have about 2" on my front, presently, which I think is too much given how easily it bottoms.

[​IMG]

11. radare

radare Member

Oh, and, BTW, I did get out several weeks ago and do some scrambling. First time I've ever ridden on muddy ice. It was a hoot. I do need to sort out some sort of bash-guard, though. Not quite sure how I'll do that with the pipes the way they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Timbox and jayrodoh like this.
  12. xHondaHack

jayrodoh likes this.
  13. radare

radare Member

Awesome! Thank you. I swear I spent an hour looking before I became frustrated. Back out to the workshop to adjust.

14. radare

radare Member

I got the sag all set up and the front end feels a lot better. Actually, the whole bike does. I installed a set of adjustable preload caps to make tuning the sag a lot easier. These are 38mm caps and I found them on eBay for around $40.

[​IMG]

I also put on a fender-extender. Hoping this will reduce the amount of debris that is flung onto the oil filter. Time will tell, of course.

[​IMG]

Franz likes this.
  15. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

what size forks are on the Seca II?
    Just wondering if they sell those for 36mm.

16. radare

radare Member