1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Do I need to replace the crank journal bearings?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Rasput, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Rasput

Rasput Member

Rebuilding a 1983 seca 900 engine. Found some shiny spots on the crank journal bearings. No gouging or roughness and they feel smooth to the touch. I included pictures. Do I need to replace these due to their condition?

Attached Files:

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Those are in great visual condition. Check clearances with plastiguage though.

3. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

I would agree with K-Moe, they do look to be in very good shape. Just out of curiosity, how many miles on the engine? As a precaution remove the shell and make sure there is no foreign matter on the back side of the shell, and make sure the case is clean; do that before you plastigauge your clearance.

4. Rasput

Rasput Member

Either 21kish or 42kish. Two gauge clusters came with the bike lol. So I shouldn't be worried about the difference between the shiny and matte areas? The crack journals are in great shape too in my opinion. 20200329_093950.jpg

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

You bearing faces on the top two photographs remind me of mine on my old CB 750 SOHC four. I never had any problem with mine. Engine ran great for years.

Rasput likes this.