1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Engine Assembly

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Franz, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

Is Molybdenum grease suitable for engine assembly? Any of you used it?

2. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Myself, I would try to find something else. Questions arise as to how well it will mix with engine oil at startup, and the Moly will have a tendency to plug the oil filter. Check out your local auto parts stores to see if they have engine assembly lube; OR order some thing from here in the States, from Summit Racing, Jeg's, Autozone. You want something that will stay in place, has high film strength, mixes with oil. If all else fails and it's available to you use SPT oil treatment. Although as I write this, I only see need for such lubrication on the crankshaft bearings; main and rod, and camshaft lobes, everything else could just be lubed with what ever engine oil you are going to use in the engine once it's put together. Don't go nuts oiling the pistons and cylinders, a light coat on the skirts is all you really need; too much oil in/on the cylinders/pistons will cause the rings to float on the oil film and not seat well. Here's a link to what I'm talking about.

http://www.phearable.net/information/tech-area/engine-break-in.html

Hope this helps
    Jim

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Cheers Jim that's what was bothering me the shell bearings or cams getting damaged. Didn't know it could clog the filter. I didn't want to use engine oil on the shell bearings because l won't be starting the engine for some time.

4. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

If this is going to sit for awhile before being run, all the more reason to use tacky assembly lubricant on the shell bearings and cam lobes. How long do you think this will sit before being run?

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Just a month l think that should be fine with the tacky assembly lube. I used to use engine oil but the bike was started once the engine was built. They sell Lucas assembly lube here, l might get that or Permatex. Jegg's have a few kinds of assembly lube.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020