1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Beware of project bikes

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by joejr2, Aug 23, 2020.

1. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

If you are like me, always on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace looking for xj parts bikes or neglected
    garage queens for sale, beware of bikes described as "projects". You have no idea what the tinkerer
    Has done to the bikes internals before he lost interest or got over his head. Always look at a project
    As a potentially salvageable source of parts rather than an opportunity to assemble an an cheaply.

2. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

Xj was changed to an

3. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Yes, don't let the excitement of finding a bike blur your vision on what the end result could be. If it does not feel right it is best to walk away.

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I bought a 250 Honda twin when l was young and learned from that one. Was not worth fixing at least l made the error with an inexpensive bike.

5. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

We all do silly things when we are young.

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yup all part of the learning process.

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

unfinnished project bikes are the ultimate in PO bikes.
    most never get bike running or running properly first. Out comes the sawzall and grinder and cans of paint. pull all the relays put them back where ever they fit
    jets all mixed up in carbs.

8. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Does that mean I’m still young?

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

#1 cardinal rule should always be a compression test. For most of these bikes, major things like replacement pistons, etc., are simply not available.

A compression test will give you a basic idea of the viability of the motor; beyond that it is a case of how much work you want to do and how much money you want to spend. For a true restoration, things like stock mufflers, etc., can present a real challenge. If the bike is complete and makes good compression numbers, and you're prepared to replace all "wear items" and any gasket or seal you disturb, then have at it.

With project bikes, it's not so much a case of "beware." It's more a case of "know what you're getting into" when making the decision. I've walked away from more than one promising fixer-upper because one cylinder was dead. (Note: a 4-cylinder bike will run- not well, but run- with 3 healthy cylinders and one really bad one.) Hence my recommendation for a compression test.