1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 xj650 stock exhaust or not

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Kweb1889, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Hello I am new to this group I've been reading threads for a couple weeks since I bought my first xj very recently I have a 4 into 1 exhaust that came on the bike and am looking for advice on whether I should keep it this way or if going back to dual stock is better for performance or if it even matters. This 82 xj650 is my first bike build so any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I have an 82 750 Maxim and I'm currently building a 4/1 exhaust system. Lot's of work. I'd be interested in seeing picture of your 4/1 mainly the collector.
    How much ground clearance do you have with the 4/1?
    Cheers, 50gary

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

in answer to the original question, a stock system would probably be an improvement over the 4-1, however depending on which 82 XJ650 you have, Seca or Maxim, finding a decent stock system will either be virtually impossible or completely impossible. Neither bike had what you would call a "conventional" 4-2 system. Rather than go into the intricacies of both, take a look in the appropriate fiche: https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/c/yamaha_motorcycle_1982/parts (The XJ650LJ is the turbo, you likely have a Seca XJ650RJ or a Maxim XJ650J.)

Tip: put the year/specific model of your bike in your profile signature so it is always there and we don't need to keep asking.

k-moe likes this.
  4. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Ok thank you I added the bike model as my signature 82 xj650 maxim. I bought this bike for 500 and it's a total fixer upper. I actually have a friend with this same bike with all the stock components and he wants to trade for my 4-1 exhaust I just wasnt sure if it was worth the trade. Also 50gary i will upload a pic shortly like you asked.

5. bigfitz52

k-moe likes this.
  6. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

50gary here you go she ain't pretty but after soda blast and engine overhaul and a little paint she'll be nice

Attached Files:

7. bigfitz52

Pump the brakes there friend; don't go tearing stuff down until you know what parts are available. A true engine overhaul will be nearly impossible; there're many other things you'll need to do if you want to ride the bike. Things like check the valve clearances, replace a whole bunch of gaskets, fix the brakes, replace the front brake lines, etc., etc.

k-moe likes this.
  8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Generally speaking an engine overhaul is really only needed if the bike sat underwater for any length of time, or has 150,000 miles on it or more.
    Even then you'll have to get some parts made (rings and pistons), or swap in parts from a lower mileage engine.

9. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

The bike rides as is just want to do new seals all through the motor soda blast carbs and wash motor then paint the bike

10. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Engine only has 24,000 on it but the valve cover is leaking so I at least have to do that and I also rebuilt the carbs and replaced the boots

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The engine won't need rebuilding, except maybe for the starter clutch and alternator chain guide.
    Valve cover leaks are common. The rubber parts on the bolts that provide the clamping force age, and stop providing enough clamping force. Be extremely careful when reinstalling the valve cover. The bolts are shouldered, and if you go beyond the factory torque spec it is very likely that you will either strip the threads (the good failure) or crack the head (the bad failure).

12. bigfitz52

While you're about fixing the leaky valve cover (and K-Moe is right, gasket AND donuts required) check the valve clearances. If they have been ignored, you're approaching the mileage where bad things will begin to happen as a result of said neglect.

13. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Thank you for the advice I really appreciate all of the information I've received from this group. As I said this is my first bike build. my brother passed a month ago and he was big into bikes so I am going to build this one for him and I hope that if I have more questions along the way (I'm sure I will) that this group can help me answer them.

14. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Thank you for that advice I was actually reading through a different thread where valve clearance came up alot so I watched a video on how to do this and am going to check the clearance before I even fire it up again since I'll have the valve cover off anyway.

Jetfixer and k-moe like this.
  15. bigfitz52

Good plan. Valve clearances come up a lot because a lot of people lack the confidence to perform what is an essential maintenance procedure, and something that needs to be done every 5000 miles. So they find every reason they can think of to avoid it thinking it is some major mysterious mechanical operation. If the valves are too tight, you just can't tune a bike that uses vacuum-operated carburetors very effectively. If you're gonna actually ride an XJ it's something you need to learn to do, it's inescapable.

This might help more than the video: https://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/bigfitzs-airhead-valve-adjustment-with-pics-parts-i-ii.116006/

After the second or third time you do it, you'll wonder what all the fuss is about...

Jetfixer and k-moe like this.
  16. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Thank you very much for the info. I plan to ride this xj for years to come. I do have one last question I have the carbs off at the moment so I covered the intake up and am buying a portable garage to work on this bike in but it has been outside under a tarp for the past week and it's been raining the whole time should I worry about moisture getting into the engine? I'm getting the garage today and will have it up tomorrow. Is their anything I should do to make sure that no moister got in their or since it's only been a week should it be fine?

17. bigfitz52

If the motor is going to be sitting outside, opened up, I would suggest using a product called "engine fogging spray" available at most any auto parts store. If you can't turn the motor over, blast a good bit into the open intake manifolds and into each spark plug hole. Don't overdo it, it's fogging spray, not flooding spray. Then plug each intake with a fresh paper shop towel. A word on those: there are two "flavors" of blue paper shop towels, standard and "Pro" or "Heavy Duty." Those are better. The original blue towels will start to break down in solvent and even dry can leave tufts of blue fuzz about. NOT GOOD IN A MOTOR.
    Don't go dumping Sea Foam or any other concoction into the motor; just fog it.

18. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Thank you I will do this right away after work tomorrow.