1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Turn signal soldering - tight spaces

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XJ-Kirk, Oct 5, 2020.

1. XJ-Kirk

XJ-Kirk New Member

So, I discovered why my signals aren't working. Those 3 wires all popped off. Anyone have any idea how to solder or reattach these?

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you pop off the black board with the eyelets the metal frame is removable. Yamaha did a horrible job soldering those wires every control i have worked on had cold solder joints. the solder shoukd flow onto the eyelet surface not bead into it

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

use solder with flux core for electronics and clean the eyelet edges

do 1 eyelet then let it cool off

jayrodoh likes this.
  4. XJ-Kirk

XJ-Kirk New Member

After I pop off the black board, are you saying I still have to solder them down in that tiny space of the control? Or did I miss an easier way? Thanks for the help!

5. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I recommend you put electronics flux on the eyelets before solder, as well as using electronic solder with flux core.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you remove the little plate covering where the wires come into the module, and the other screws holding things into the housing, you should be able to get the wires and "guts" free of the housing to do your soldering. Just be sure you reattach the wires in the proper orientation to be able to fit back into the housing.

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

***More info: I just went out and took one apart. You should be able to leave the horn button ass'y/wire attached, you will need to remove the lower block that has the spring-loaded ball in it in order to slide the circuit board out, but you should be able to lift it clear enough of the housing to do your resoldering more conveniently. It's going to require finesse.

Also remember that the centering spring "leafs" and that little ball are also electrical contacts (thanks Yamaha) so be careful with them.