1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Cleaning XJ650 Crankcase?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ryan Leigh, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Ryan Leigh

Ryan Leigh New Member

I have the top end off to take care of some bad rings, and I overlooked putting something underneath the pistons to keep dirt from getting in. Now there's specks of dirt here and there on the crank shaft. I'm not sure how big of a deal that is but I figure it's not supposed to be there so my question is what's the best course of action to get rid of it. Pour something down the top and hope it comes out the bottom? Take it apart?

2. Ryan Leigh

Ryan Leigh New Member

This is what it looks like down there..

Attached Files:

3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Take it apart is probably best option , pouring solvent in is no guarentee to get out grit . I would also caution to take an air nozzle to it as this could make it worse. :eek:

4. JCH

JCH Active Member

Opps....
    Take the oil pan off and purchase a half dozen cans of cheap brake wash from Walmart, you already have the exhaust off so it shouldn't be too hard to remove the pan. It's soft metal so that is also a good point.

5. SM85

SM85 Member

I would recommend against using just brake cleaner, it dries out parts a lot. I would spray diesel right after. This is what I do on inframe rebuilds on trucks and tractors.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'd start with a shop vac and a soft brush; any particles that are stuck might need to be disturbed with the brush to get sucked up.

Then, if you're still worried or it didn't get everything, I would use cheap 10W or 20W motor oil to flush with. But I'd definitely try vacuuming it out first. You may need to fabricate a narrow nozzle...

JCH likes this.