1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

No power to a working solenoid any suggestions?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Evan Patrick Bourke, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Evan Patrick Bourke

Evan Patrick Bourke New Member

Hi I'm what you would call an electrics newbie looking for any help.
    There is no power getting to my solenoid on my xj900p. I have tested the solenoid with another power source and multimeter its clicks and has current going through it. So the solenoid seems fine. When checking for voltage on the power from the (pressed) start button there is none.
    I have chased the blue and white wire from the solenoid and it goes to a relay.
    Any suggestion as to where to look further up the line? Or am I looking in the completely wrong area?

2. Evan Patrick Bourke

I have just read that changing the handlebars may affect the earth. could this be the problem?

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

That happens if a bar is installed that is painted or powder-coated and cannot provide a good ground for the control pod, so yes if you just replaced the handlebar with something fitting the description.

It is also possible that you have an issue with one or more components of the safety circuit. You can try unplugging the safety relay as a diagnostic step, that disables the whole mess. (if the bike thinks it's in gear, it won't let the starter button work unless the clutch is pulled in, etc.)

4. Evan Patrick Bourke

Excuse my ignorance but in the attached image is that the earth connection to the bars? Oppose to stripping the paint would it work to solder a earth wire to it?

Attached Files: