1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Reconnecting cases, final questions and checks

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by eigenseca, Oct 11, 2020.

1. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

Bike is a 1982 Maxim 750.
    I am getting ready to seal the cases back together after fixing the starter clutch. I wanted to ask yall's opinion on any major things I should check before I do so. I also have 3 other questions..

1: Which way do the half rings go around the bearings? For example on this outrigger bearing in picture 2. Does it go on top or the bottom? Does it matter? Does this little pin on the input shaft bearing face the crankshaft like in the 1st picture?

2: According to my Haynes manual the torque spec on the case bolts are 17.5 lbft for 8mm and 8.7 lbft for 6mm. Is that right? Seems rather low.

3: Any tips for lining up the cases and getting the 2nd gear fork to slide in place?

IMG_20201011_132858__01.jpg

IMG_20201011_132820.jpg

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Can't help with most of those, however:

be sure you apply Yamabond or equivalent as specified in the manual around the crank bearing oil galleries as specified, where you DON'T apply it is as important as using it to begin with. Failure to get this right can result in oil pressure loss and main bearing failure.

those torque specs are fine, but use an appropriate low capacity wrench rather than the very bottom end of the scale of a bigger one;

and be sure to fill the oil filter/housing with oil, to prime the oil pump before turning the motor over.

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Video of the assembly process.

eigenseca likes this.
  4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i put them 1/2 and 1/2 so the split is at the top. does it matter? i doubt it
    that pin looks good to me.
    that torque is the same as the factory book
    i get a helper with a stick and a flashlight and do a few dry runs before the sealer goes on

eigenseca likes this.