1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Grandpa's XJ750

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by earlingy, Jul 23, 2021.

1. earlingy

earlingy New Member

My grandfather bought this bike new, it's now made it 2 generations to me. I'm new to motorcycles, really just got it since it's a cool old family heirloom. I towed it 11 hours home, got it registered, insured, got a helmet and a motorcycle license. There are no MSF courses open nearby until 2022 so until then I'm practicing in the parking lot.
    I bled the brakes to get some fresh fluid in and I'm having the original tires replaced today. It runs well, I do feel like it could be tuned a little better by an expert- sometimes it's a little finicky to start when it isn't hot, and rare misfire off-throttle as the revs go back to idle. My relative who rides says he has to give it more gas when starting to move than he is used to (on a fuel injected bike) and the brakes could be more firm.
    Fun old machine.
    signal-2021-07-22-193416.jpg

Mechanic1978 and StarGeneral like this.
  2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Nice bike.

3. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Nice that this bike stays in the family! Have fun and plenty of info and/or advice here to keep the bike in good shape.

4. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

And thanks for making some of us feel old :)

It's pretty cool it is still running well through the generations although it does sound like it could use a bit of time and money to bring it back to its original running condition. Are there any mechanics in the family that have kept it going?