1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ 750 maxim - Electrical issues

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by p4r4, Jul 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. p4r4

p4r4 New Member

I have a buddy who has an XJ 750 Maxim, he replaced the signal lights on his bike after 2 days the light on his display, his horn and his brake lights stopped working. Do you guys know what could be the issue here, we have checked every connection.

Is this electrical wiring diagram the same as the XJ 750 maxim even though it's a xj550
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Were the fuses checked? Based on that diagram those circuits share the same fuse. Could be blown or loose/poor connection if the original style glass fuses.

Mechanic1978 likes this.
  3. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

wiring changes rapidly from model to model, so NO this is not the one to follow. Some circuits will be similar, but not all.

hes correct, were they led upgrades, or any different bulbs than compared to factory? power on bikes is nominally a single supply wire thats tapped into at various fused points and each have thier own amp draw on this single wire. any increase in current can blow the fuse, or as @jayrodoh has explained to you.

I would need more info to further assist you...

4. jerry57g

jerry57g New Member

I have a truck 1999 GMC and when I replaced the taillight bulbs I "upgraded to LED's. Itt seems that the resistance is less and the cruise won't function, so I had to put in regular bulbs for the cruise computer to function. I believe this is the same issues you are having with your replacement lights. You can put resistors in line to the bulbs to remedy the problem ( don't know what size resistors to use) or get some bulb turn signals.

5. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

the resistors are just acting like a bulb, but no brigt filament to light up..
    they are essentially adding a larger power draw "load".. as long as they are for 12v led systems they will work. they wire in just like a light does (power wire/ ground wire)....

Led lights draw about 1/8th the normal incadesent bulb your system was designed for. some led lights have a circuit board with the resistor built into it.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the 2 years of the 750 maxim have different wiring so we need to know the year to start with.

signal fuse wou;d be the first place to look. does he still have the glass fuses?
    you will want to upgrade to a blade style fuse box or blade inline fuse holders.

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

www.xjcd.org will have a wiring diagram on line for you