1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

The first motorcycle I ever rode was my buddy's V-Max - just around parking lot in first gear, but I was instantly hooked. Smartly, I put a couple years into my XJ750 Seca before I rode it again, on the street, but holy COW, what a machine. Love the sound of them. Yeah, TINY gas tank. His (was his first bike, though he'd ridden a buddy's Katana or something for a while first) had charing problems and he bump-started that pig after just about every fill-up. He's got a VTX1800 now, so yeah, he likes big jugs. :D

I got my D404s in the mail (FedEx), even though they weren't supposed to show for several days. Hope to pull the wheels this weekend and drop them of to the local tire guy (aka The No-Mar Ninja) on Monday or so. The way the rear was shrink-wrapped, it looks skinnier than the front, but I triple-checked they're right. Wx has been crap this week and we're getting the house sided, so logistics have kept the bikes in the garage. Hoping to get a ride in this weekend.

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Worked on my bike this past week , got my new used speedometer from Xj4ever put it on and was bouncing like the tach ??? Replaced the speedometer cable and VOILA fixed , while I was at it when I had my accident it had broke the ignition switch . I repaired the switch so keys match the fuel cap and seat lock . Rode a short ride , but was pretty windy so this time to cut my ride short . For now bike is back together in someways better than before.

3. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

How do you get them keyed the same? On my wife’s Vino scooter, I had to replace the gas cap, so now it has two different keys.

And yeah, the wind has been something all weekend. Wasn’t terrible on my ride yesterday, but I did get pushed around a bit. Glad you’re back up and at it.

Jetfixer likes this.
  4. Andrew Nichols

Andrew Nichols Active Member

I re-covered the seat on one of my 900 Secas. Might take some sun and some time to flatten some of the creases.

Polish_20221020_081737592.jpg

5. Jetfixer

Sad day even though temperatures and weather has been nice.. put bike away for winter . Why because to get my wifes car in garage can't have room for her car and my beetle and bike . To put it away I took off windshield, and mirrors looks naked . Now have to wait till spring :(

Oblivion likes this.
  6. Roast644

Roast644 Well-Known Member

Carbs finally together after a lengthy delay of.. Well, stuff. But making progress again! Before and after photos. Nice and clean, proper throttle shaft seals from Len, ready for the next step. These suckers were R-U-F rough to start with, so pretty happy with how the look now.

20220210_172331.jpg 20221104_180645.jpg

7. Roast644

Today I tore down my donor bike. Barring something catastrophic, I intend to use the motor, forks and swing arm from the donor bike in my other. Not planning to rebuild the motor, but there are a couple seals that need replaced. But I'll ignore it for now as I plan to tackle the fork rebuild next.

Also built a stand for the engine since squatting in the dirt to work on it hurts my back. Original motor on the piano dolly, donor motor on the stand.

20221119_162559.jpg

8. JMark

JMark Member

Went for a ride, changed the oil and washed it today. Low 50’s in MN made for a good birthday ride.

Attached Files:

9. Litaos

Litaos New Member

Hoy reparé el relé de arranque. En mi país el repuesto no está disponible. Creo que tengo un relevo para unos años más....

Attached Files:

Dave in Ireland and Huntchuks like this.
  10. Jetfixer

Was on FB market place yesterday a guy had had an 82 XJ750 Seca for sale for 100$ no title nor tank or side panels ,missing cluster but the rest is there . Has a Kerker four into one exhaust, not sure what I will do he said it has been sitting for 10 years . A plus the wiring harness is complete and does not look hacked up . My wife went went with me to Illinois our GPS got us completely turned around, ittook us hours trying to avoid the interstate, the bike only fit in my truck with tailgate down , so wanted to stay on back roads .

Attached Files:

Litaos, Roast644 and Franz like this.
  11. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Nice. Where in IL did you have to venture?

12. Jetfixer

Mokena and got totally lost lol

Oblivion likes this.
  13. Roast644

No matter what you do with it, $100 is cheap entertainment for the weekend!

14. Jetfixer

It is way to cold to mess with the new bike , but so far missing the side stand relay , the brake calipers are froze , the clutch lever is seized, the tires are toast , the insturment cluster is missing , the seat is ripped, the front forks are rusted , of course no fuel tank , missing the headlight bulb, no carbs , BUT have all the parts not sure what I'm going to do would like to see if the engine will run , I have a set of rebuilt carbs . Since I do not have title for this thing not sure if I want to go through hassle of doing this .

15. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Took a few hours and made a PVC stand for my carbs so I can recheck the float level and get these carbs back on the bike.

Merry Christmas!

Attached Files:

16. BallAquatics

BallAquatics Active Member

Nice! How do the carbs attach to the stand? Perhaps a photo of the back side...

17. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    @Jetfixer , good catch. Worth the price for the adventure of retrieving it and time with The Wife. Plus at the very least you have a cache of spare parts. And saved another from the Scrap Crusher, at least for a little bit. Good for you.

Jetfixer likes this.
  18. Jetfixer

It has been to freakin cold to even look at this bike, I have almost all the parts to rescue it . I'm not sure about the engine if it will run , I might try to title it would be a hassle but might be fun to save another one . I would need a tank , have one that is pretty beat up , tires, fork seals , brake seals, pads ,shoes ,battery ... have a good seat, both side covers , rebuilt carbs , headlight, instrument cluster. Just trying to decide hmm .

19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

You could connect it to a battery and do a compression test first. Some weather in the USA at the moment I hope everyone is safe.

Jetfixer likes this.
  20. Jetfixer

Yep , going to borescope engine first hopefully it is not full of rust. Since it supposedly has sat for 10 years.

Franz likes this.