1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Turbo parts bike

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Simmy, Aug 17, 2026.

  1. Simmy

    Simmy Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,672
    Likes Received:
    1,457
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Waterloo Ontario Canada
    I picked up another Turbo parts bike. It is complete but unfortunately no ownership.
    Just 30,000 kms.
    red turbo.jpg
     
  2. Simmy

    Simmy Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,672
    Likes Received:
    1,457
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Waterloo Ontario Canada
    This thing is perfect for someone who allways dreamed about turbocharging their XJ.
    I read onetime a guy was turbocharging a CB750 with all the Yamaha stuff
     
  3. Timbox

    Timbox Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    2,832
    Likes Received:
    986
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Wisconsin, Tomah
    Very nice find. I don't know if I would ever want a turbo vintage bike? I love the looks, Yam bikes in general, but for the twist the throttle and fun factor I would have to go with a new bike. I do hope you enjoy it or pass it on to a worth project person. Looks to be in good shape for the age.
     
  4. Simmy

    Simmy Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,672
    Likes Received:
    1,457
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Waterloo Ontario Canada
    I have a buddy who drag races old gold wings because he gets them free.
    Racing him would be fun.
    Project Rat Racer
    Seriously what really caught my interest was it was listed as an 83 which would make a rare bike. It's date of mfg is 01|82 so not an 83.
    I'd like to get rid of the wbeels suspension and body work and just keep the unique turbo mechanicals. I could find a corner for that
     
  5. Simmy

    Simmy Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,672
    Likes Received:
    1,457
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Waterloo Ontario Canada
    As the seller handed me a box of stuff he said the owner started to convert it to normally aspirated.
    Luckily he didn't get further than removing the fuel pump and plugging the fuel return line to the tank and at the fuel check valve.
    The guy I bought it from said this was a one owner bike, a relative of his wife.
    Apparently there were brothers and they both painted them this ugly blood red.
    0a201c2a-cf1f-4231-90a3-a9183c8b4792.jpg
    1000002857.jpg

    It came with a 2nd set of shocks for some reason.
    And 2 LJ owner manuals
    1000002861.jpg
     
    Timbox likes this.
  6. Fuller56

    Fuller56 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,083
    Likes Received:
    534
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    I bet they would have been really disappointed in the performance if they had completed removing the turbo and its plumbing. At least it has found its proper home now.
     
  7. Simmy

    Simmy Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,672
    Likes Received:
    1,457
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Waterloo Ontario Canada
    Picked up an 84 XV750 for cheap.
    I've always wanted to lace some 17" wheels for an XJ.
    If I can sell a few parts, maybe gas tank, carbs, exhaust and scrap the rest it will pay for these wheels.
    I think I read the rear rim is off centre when mounted on an XJ, I'll verify and post that when I get a chance this winter.
    Front wheel I believe is direct fit.

    If I can find some used supermotard rims, then order custom spokes....it'll still cost a fortune, oh well at least I can dream.
    I'm uncertain what is actually wrong with this bike
    Virago.jpg
     
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2026 at 9:58 PM
  8. Timbox

    Timbox Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    2,832
    Likes Received:
    986
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Wisconsin, Tomah
    Hope that works out for you. Looks like a good donor bike.
     

Share This Page