1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

gauge cluster question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bluepotpie, Mar 19, 2008.

  1. bluepotpie

    bluepotpie Member

    Messages:
    416
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Londonderry, NH
    I have an '82 XJ750 Maxim which has the ugly square gauge cluster. I'd like to replace it with one of the round ones (like two round gauges with the warning lights in the middle).

    What year/model should i be looking for?
    Can it swap out easily using the same connectors, etc?
    Do any of the round ones have a fuel gauge? or is it only a fuel warning light?

    Thanks!
     
  2. BlueMaxim

    BlueMaxim Active Member

    Messages:
    1,986
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Central Mississippi
    You would be in for some wiring work on this. The round one's do not have a fuel gauge and would not use the same connectors. You would also have to pull the oil level sending switch and exchange it for an analog one.
    As far as year/model the 83 750K Maxim and the 82/83 650 Maxim's would have suitable clusters and sending switches.
     
  3. thirtypackobud

    thirtypackobud New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    Anyone know where one might be able to find said Cluster? This would include all parts for the conversion? Chacal is that something you might be able to assist with?
     
  4. Robert

    Robert Active Member

    Messages:
    7,479
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Ventura CA
    I've got an XS 750 cluster that would work. I can also get you hooked up on what all you would need to cross over electrically speaking. My Seca is about to go under the "knife" for a complete bearing and brake overhaul. It would be a good time for me to check fitment and connector swappage. I'd be interested in your "Atari" unit.
     
  5. bluepotpie

    bluepotpie Member

    Messages:
    416
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Londonderry, NH
    What is an "Atari" unit? Is that the square cluster I have? Perhaps we can come to arrangement with you. PM me if you're interested.
     
  6. Gwyndwr

    Gwyndwr Member

    Messages:
    200
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think I have a spare Atari (or maybe it's ColecoVision) unit. I'll check.

    As for a round set. If you have all the probe wires you might think of going to an after market gauge that has provisions for all the sensors. Fuel level, temperature, and oil level are handy things to know when you're riding. There is a brand of gauges that many people on this forum use but the name is evading me. Do a forum search for gauges and you'll figure it out pretty quick.

    I can totally understand you wanting to change the square gauges out. I think they're ugly too. Robert calls them Atari style I call them the Knight Rider gauges.

    Oh Oh Oh.. I remember the brand name.

    Electrosport. They make some nice gauges. Take a look at them.
     

Share This Page