1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 Seca 550 Cafe Racer Build for Rockerbox

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Greg1982, Jul 16, 2012.

1. permissiontolandfmx

permissiontolandfmx Member

I like what you've done nice to see something different and done well.

2. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

such a beautiful build.

sent ya a pm ;)

3. Greg1982

Greg1982 Member

Thanks, it sounds and rides great also. Really sucks that i have to put it away for the winter.

4. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

i feel ya on that one.

Do you still have any of the parts that you took off? I just bought a 550 and its missing a bunch of stuff.

I tried sending you a pm but maybe it diddnt work.

shoot me an email at chrisharrison@tds.net if you could, I'd really appreciate it. (without the spaces)

Thanks!!

5. thejelliboy

thejelliboy New Member

Hi Greg,

I'm brand new to the forum (1st post) as I've just acquired an 82' XJ550 Seca. It's a bit like yours but with an orange and black trim. I'm basically planning on doing the exact same thing you did. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery an' all that.

The only main sticking point I have is the carb/pod/jet thing that seems to set plenty of people off around here (I've been lurking the boards for a couple of weeks). So my questions are...

Are they the stock Mikuni BS28 CV carbs?
    Which K&N filters did you use?
    What size jets did you end up with?

I know every bike's different blah rain blah altitude blah but a starting point would be nice. I'm currently starting with 'get some FZ carbs instead and save myself a bunch of grief'. Be nice if I could stick with the stock though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

6. Greg1982

Greg1982 Member

I hate to say this because I know a lot of people are very passionate about after market filters. This is the third 550 I have put the K&N RC-2372 oval filter on. I honestly believe the problem with most Pod filters is swish and swirl not too much air flow. I think the shape of these filters really helps with that characteristic This bike has the stock carburetors and at first it ran pretty darn good with the stock jets. I know a lot of people are not going to believe that. I also think it has something to do with the stock 4 in to 2 pipe. I have since installed a dyno-jet stage three kit and it runs great. If my memory is correct on the first two 550's I did this to I went from the stock 112.5 main jets to 125's.

7. thejelliboy

thejelliboy New Member

Thanks for getting back to me Greg! (and thanks to everyone else for holding back the filter rage). My exhaust is a 4 to 1. If you don't mind me picking your brains one last time...

In your opinion would it be worth getting the 4 to 2 for better back pressure/less jet tweaking or roll with the 4 to 1 and see. I'm quite happy to sit and sync and tune and tweak til it's right but if there are any worthwhile corners to cut it would be good to know.

Thanks again.

8. Greg1982

Greg1982 Member

I don't think it matters, My first Seca had a yosh stage seven 4 into 1 and my second had a Kerker 4 into 1 and they both ran great. Never got the third one on the street and now this is the forth. Make sure you use the K&N air filter and the Dyno Jet kit and you should be fine no matter witch way you go. It's what ever you like and go with it.

9. TLadd711

TLadd711 New Member

Could you help me with how you put these on your frame? I just got the same exact tarozzi's and have the same bike. But i dont see anyway that they rearsets can be put onto the frame. I even called fastfromthepast where i bought the tarozzi's and the guy couldn't figure it out either. Please help man