1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ750 Cam timing pictures?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Tom, Jan 22, 2015.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Or three, since none of the service manuals cover everything clearly, and all three publishers refuse to revise the errors that each has.

2. Tom

Tom New Member

Ok I really thing I have it. Take a look. The thing that was sort of weird was that the cam claim arrows point away from the dots on the cam shaft. Trust me, I put them back on exactly the way they can off. I have done two complete rotations and it lined back up.

Attached Files:

3. Tom

Tom New Member

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The arrows that are cast into the upper cam bearing journals are there to indicate the correct orientation of the journal. They have nothing to do with setting cam timing. The timing marks will be either a small arrow tip cast into the journal, or a mark machined onto the outer vertical face of the journal.

Unless your timing pointer was bent you do not have the #1 Cylinder at TDC. The pointer should line up with the T on the ignition plate. Yours is lined up with an ignition firing mark. This means that your cam timing is off.

Have you confirmed that #1 is at TDC using a reliable refence, such as a dial caliper, or at the very least a dowell that you put reasonably accurate reference marks on?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  5. Tom

Tom New Member

Yep. Both are at the top.

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

looking at the pictures, the tdc pointer isn't quite there yet and the cam marks aren't quite there yet either. one little bump and everything should line up.
    the pointer screw obviously has been messed with, i'd make the cam marks dead on then bend the pointer to line up with the "T" mark and your good to go

7. Tom

Tom New Member

I realized that to. I had it spun just a hair off when I took the pic but your right if you look at the pointer you can tell it's been messed with. One thing I didn't mention was I didn't unseat the sprockets from the chain. I loosened the sprockets from the cams and lifted the cam shafts up enough to replace the shims but didn't take them out. So, having not taken the sprockets off and matching the marks up at Tdc. I think, I should be right back where I started.

8. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Can't "think" on this one Tom, you must know for certain that #1 is @TDC. It's critical. Hope this help.

Gary H.

9. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Polock is right.... Try to get a manual. So much good info. It is well worth it. You wont regret it. Message me if you need one.

10. Tom

Tom New Member

Guys BIG thanks! I tried to post a video of me starting her up but I guess it's the wrong format. I was a little nervous but I took my time and went over all of your post a few times. This was the first time she started cold without starting fluid and a lot coaxing. Sounds strong and smooth! Balancing the carbs are next and my yamaha dealer loaned me the tool. Anyway, thanks to the group. I've been a member of the FZ1OA for years and this forum certainly rivals that one.

Thanks again!

Tom

11. Tom

Tom New Member

Just because I thought it was a fluk I started it again this morning... cold. Bang first spin and it's going. Now, I did re-clean the carbs and my enrichment reservoirs and 3 of the 4 carb bowls were clogged so that may have had something to do with it but I have never seen this dramatic of a change in a bikes attitude. So, I guess for all those hard starting guys I would certainly recommend valves & check those carb bowls. Thanks again! Hopefully I'll be able to help someone else.

12. Dantoys

Dantoys New Member

I know this is an old post, but would like to include the participants.

I am ready to do my cams... I am posting the manual page, my CAM Top view and Crank TDC. Also, you will notice a photo of a mark I placed during the Tear down, it does not corrispond with the mark on the CAM.. now I am very concerned. Should I follow the CAM Mark or My Mark.. they are 180 degrees apart.?

Attached Files:

13. Dantoys

Dantoys New Member

Son of B... I wonder if when I tore it down, I had the C aligned with the TDC Tag, and my cams may have been roatated 180 Degrees... Can someone verify if the CAMs rotate 180 when at the C mark??

Also, The CAMs aligned at the Top with the CAM Mark seem to be dead on, and no pressure to the valves, so is it safe to say that all valves are Closed at TDC ?

14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

no they do not. t mark is only a little way from c mark 180 degrees would be on the other side of the disc. the disc is on the end of crank shaft

15. XJ550H

Tom was last seen:Feb 3, 2015

jmilliken was last seen:Dec 22, 2016

start your own thread would be better for you

rocs82650 was here saterday and polock too

16. XJ550H

yes go by the marks on cam shaft and cam shaft cap for proper alinment just as the book shows you.
    did you mark intake shaft and exhaust shaft as shuch?

17. Dantoys

Dantoys New Member