1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1985 HD Sportster 1000....I know...why...lol

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, Aug 31, 2022.

1. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Above thumbs up is for these two statements!

2. Mr.Schakelford

Mr.Schakelford New Member

I have 3 iron head sportys in my shop right now, they are fickle creatures for sure. Prone to cracking the cast aluminum cases and transmission issues. I have lots of NOS parts for them in my shop as well as tons of not so new stock from 70s up till now , should you ever need something you can’t find or any questions please feel free to reach out to me. I am an independent shop specializing in H-D …. Yea still one of those mom and pops places left .
    Good luck with your project

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Mr.Schakelford, thanks for the info and I will pass it on to my die hard HD friends.

The bike is running very nice but the charging system is still not working. I have a new stator and it has test good. But I still have no charging. The book says at 3k rpm that there should be 60 VAC coming out of the stator. I have a much smaller number 11 VAC.

I will not be taking that clutch pack off again. All the special tools and luck I had the first time. The manual says I have bad charging rotor and it needs to be replaced. Parts on line in the $450 area for something that I have lost interest in.

It comes down to this for me. I really enjoy working on motorcycles and have for many yrs. Shifting to a non metric bike I thought might have been fun. But I realize that my shop was not set up for non metric bikes. The time it took me to try to find SEA tools, wrenches and all the other tools was frustrating.

As far as my bike goes, it is going to one of my HD collector friends. Taking it out of the shop and to him today....time to look for a few other winter projects. Thanks for following along with this journey.

Franz, Huntchuks and Oblivion like this.
  4. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

"Know when to hold 'em. Know when to fold 'em." Can't say you didn't try.

5. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

I had a 76, sportser, it never charged. It was stolen.
    That didn't bother me as it should have.

Dave in Ireland likes this.
  6. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Please know I'm laughing WITH you, not at you. :D

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Thanks guys....Just one day of it being gone and I feel so much better. On the hunt for a new project now. You guys have a great day.

Dave in Ireland and jayrodoh like this.