1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ads

Discussion in 'Announcement' started by SnoSheriff, Nov 12, 2014.

1. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

What about the rest of you guys? Am I right?

2. BaldWonder

3. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

At the bare minimum you need to cover your expenses. I take it that the donations and advertising don't cover it.

When something is optional it's easy to free ride or procrastinate indefinitely (I'm an indefinite procrastinator). I think you should go to a subscription model. I suspect you could cover your expenses and even put a few Loonies in your pocket for a very modest fee.

The article BaldWonder linked makes a good point. You've got to make something public to get interest (the article calls it trust). I belong to another forum where only subscribers can post but most of the boards are public read. The owner gives 90 days trial upon registration but after that it's $12/year. Every post indicates whether the author is a contributing member or a trial member.

When a trial member asks a question almost 100% of the answers include something along the lines of "You just got your $12/worth, please subscribe so you can keep getting the information". In other words, the members are doing the selling for the owner.

k-moe and BaldWonder like this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

My only concern about a subscription is that there quite a few of us who fall on hard times occasionally. I would not want to exclude anyone from continuing to offer their advice because of a temporary shortage of spending money. I like that idea of sponsoring memberships that give additional privileges.

5. BaldWonder

Surveymonkey lets you make anonymous surveys up to 10-15 questions for free.

6. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

I thought about the "free number of posts limit" but I don't want to do that. I totally understand that not everyone wants to and will be able to contribute $. I don't want to prevent these members from posting because they add great value to the community. That's why I want to add new functionality that you'd want and be willing to support...

Also, we have site members selling parts/bikes in the Classifieds section on regular basis and they don't pay any fees for this targeted sales channel. I could allow X posts in the Classifieds section per week/month and if you want more then you need to become Supporting Member. Otherwise the max limit should meet casual seller's need.

Stumplifter likes this.
  7. SnoSheriff

Another thought that I had.... I'm planning on launching another website (non XJ related). I could definitely use help building content (forum posts) and site membership on the new website. So, XJBikes member could become the other site member and if you post X number of times then I move you to the XJBikes Supporting Member status :D

8. BaldWonder

What would the other site be about? (crossing fingers it's a topic I know)

9. SnoSheriff

I' d rather not say until I build it. It's car related ;). Just saying that it's another option. I'm all ears guys. Looking to hear community feedback.

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

One thought along the lines of another website. One of the larger motorcycle forums is pretty much wholly supported by an image hosting site that is owned by the same person. A tie-in like that might make sense for you.

11. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Oh man please be about mid-80's Chrysler K-cars. :cool:

Exclusively...

12. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Dood! I thought it was just me that loved those machines! My grandpa had one with a leopard print interior, my dad had the wagon (used for carrying 6 people while hauling a trailer) my buddies had a few... they're almost indestructible! Every now and then one drives by, and I get all nostalgic.

13. BaldWonder

Ok, I'll put my bid in: 80s Volvos (240s) or 70s Land Rovers (Series IIA and III)?

14. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

This is how a LOT of "specialty interest" forums do it, and people in the automotive/vehicular hobby are kind of accustomed to that situation. I don't see that as a negative.

The importance of the above statement cannot be stressed enough.