1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

need site logo ideas

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by SnoSheriff, Mar 7, 2006.

1. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

Great work guys. I’ve seen many logos using similar ‘gear’. I do like the fact that the XJ Bikes is enclosed in something. I like the 3D look but I’m not sure if it can be applied in all situations. How will 3D look on a mug, shirt or other product? I don’t know? Just throwing out some questions... If one was to embroider the logo then the faded colors will probably not be very hard or impossible to make.

Here is a rough prototype by me. It needs some cleaning up. I think the J has to be wider on the top. Maybe I should put Bikes.com allong the bottom of the J? Can we do something with this one?

Attached Files:

2. Kryoclasm

Kryoclasm Member

3. Kryoclasm

Kryoclasm Member

Incase the yamaha logo is not wanted, although it is obscured, I have made a logo without it.

[​IMG]
    I think it would make a cool sticker too.

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

Kinda funny in a humorous way. I like the subtle smile!

5. Kryoclasm

Kryoclasm Member

Thats what I intended, thanks Robert.

6. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I like a couple of things about this one. It's got the tuning forks which I like. I also like the shape of the XJ, looks almost oriental.

I wonder if woot could do some sort of treatment to this idea to get the same type of image he made here:

[​IMG]

That would make for a lot cheaper production of most of the merchandise.

7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I'd like to have someone who does graphic art knock-off some rectangular, tuning-fork shadowed, samples with the whole site lettered across the front in stark contrast to the background ... with XJBikes ... two colored in the custom font (like the home page) and the "dot-com" in a vivid, type font familiar to everyone. White; perhaps.

8. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    I used photoshop to do it - it's just a bit of playing with colours to get what you want and then using the 'stamp' tool... it's handy for making t-shirts because you can reduce it to just one colour...

I can do more at mostly any time, but I'm not sure it's the right road... I'll try anything once... or twice ;)

9. ferret2

ferret2 Member

Just a thought,how about an engine graphic or a line drawing of the engine set in the middle of somthing like Roberts avitar, I say the engine because its the one thing that looks the same across thel XJ range be it Seca or Maxim. Pictures of the engine could be taken off the xjcd and put on anything, what do you think?

10. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

With all the beautifull work that's been submitted, I'm almost embarrased to present the following graphics. They're very simple, mostly to adhere to Sno's guidelines:
    The colors are arbitrary, but the ".com" is intended as the typical blue link color.

Z

Attached Files:

11. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

Another set with tuning forks. (No-no, I know.)

Z

Attached Files:

12. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

Yet another set with a bike shadow background borrowed from xj650maxim82. Thanks.

Z

Attached Files:

13. vintagerice

vintagerice Member

Sweet! I like Zilla's print. Very well done.

Rob

14. Spazzer2500

Spazzer2500 New Member

Here's something I just slung together, I know I'm coming in here LATE as all can be, but:
    http://xjbikes.com/coppermine/displayim ... pos=0.html

Photo description: "Quick image search on google of a seca and maxim frankensteined together with MS paint. With better software and source photos it could be more 50/50 without one bike predominating."

15. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

16. Spazzer2500

Spazzer2500 New Member

HA! I remember that thing from the original movie. Now that you have said it, I can't unsee it. Luckily I've come up with some word art that I think isn't terribly shabby as far as a rough idea. Then again it looks like this subject has been moot for ages so I'm probably just entertaining myself at this point!

17. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

A few months ago I made reference to my working on a side project. I kinda got away from it, but I'm back to it now and I want to get some input on it. And in the process, I'm resurrecting this ancient thread!

So, regardless of if SnoSheriff ever sees this, let alone adopts it, I'd like to make an updated logo/badge for us XJ guys. I have access to some laser etching machines, and I'd like to make up metal badges that we can add to our machines to show our XJBikes.com community pride. The part I'm hoping SnoSheriff will see and like is that I want to charge for these badges and have part of the proceeds go to pay for our site hosting. I suppose even without him knowing, I could just take the income and donate it to his paypal account. Anyway, on to the logo.

It took me a while, but I realized what we all had in common visually was the basic look and shape of our engines. So I stylized it and reduced it down to some basic lines. I want to use that as the centerpiece to a badge-like layout.

[​IMG]

What I want is some input on what kinds of embellishments and/or emphasis this needs: should there be a banner, what words go on it, do we like or hate the "Est. 2005" part, does it need more text to balance it... you get the idea. I'm ready to listen to all suggestions, though I probably won't use all of them. This is just me testing to see which way the wind is blowing. Have at it, and thanks!

18. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

I like the first logo (XJ Bikes ribbon above the engine). Not sure how detailed it can be, but what about adding the YICS lettering on the crank cover? I realize not all XJ's are YICS equipped, only the good ones...

19. chazmati

chazmati Member

BaldWonder, nicely done! I like the top one. Maybe the "Build - Repair - Share" could curve around the bottom. Nice summary of the community spirit here.

20. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

I had considered it, but kept it out because like you mentioned not all bikes had it. Also, when shrinking logos, details like that just turn into a muddy mess of pixels (or ink). The only way it wouldn't be muddied would be if you made it more pronounced. I'd prefer to avoid that, since YICS isn't a central messaging point regarding the community here. And just to be on the safe side, it helps avoid copyright issues on wording that's probably trademarked.