1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jonathon Kent

Jonathon Kent Member

Finally did a bench synchronize on my carbs, solved the 3000 rpm idle problem.

k-moe, XJ550H and Jetfixer like this.
  2. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Pulled the carbs off, numbered the bodies. Broke the rack apart pulled out the butterfiles and messed with the diaphragms and jet needles a bit. Looks like PO took a hammer and screwdriver to them as 3 of the 4 needles were very obviously bent and had been dislodged from their plastic retainers. The metal parts of the diaphragms were scarred up and some of the main jet nozzles were in pretty bad shape. What the heck was that guy thinking?? I'm impressed that he even had it running at all. Also he had told me he had cleaned the carbs out on his "carb machine" Said he did it twice even! Lolz, man. It's ok. It ran before, just not very well. Soon I'll have it all straightened out and she'll be running right again.

IMG_1345.JPG IMG_1352.JPG IMG_1353.JPG IMG_1356.JPG

3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Oh dear, those carbs have a serious case of the PO (previous owner) I just went through a spare set of carbs that the slides were stuck and the throttle plates were seized, but now all tip top shape. Your slides most likely should be replaced and those needles are toast. Good luck

650MAX likes this.
  4. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Hah, I spoke too soon! Turns out my rebuild kit has those needles in it along with the jets, nozzles and even idle mixture screws. No need to make or salvage any of those hammered parts. I got my stuff mostly cleaned up today but will pick up some pipe cleaners and look for any kind of useful looking cleaning brushes and will go over the carb bodies a second time tomorrow.

Uxbridge Brule likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

650MAX likes this.
  6. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Just a lil bit of clean up today. Been riding her back n forth to work and it’s very dusty and windy there. She needed the clean up

Attached Files:

650MAX and Franz like this.
  7. raskal

raskal Active Member

Can you recommend a good chiropractor,... I have a kink in my neck

but on the plus side, the bike looks great !

8. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Yeah. I know. All the pics are taken correctly but always seem to post sideways on here. Just here. Only here. Did I say it only happens here??!!!

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I am going back to my camara . I edit and turn photos from my phone and they always revert to the original upside down sideways photo.

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

fixed 4 out of 5 carb bowls with frozen drain screws screwed up the 5th one by over drilling brighter side they are spares.
    also turned my xj750j into a 700 I used a spare seca 650 horn bracket holder and mounted a set of 700 horns to the 750 needed to make a 6 inch set of extensions for 1 horn wire set;) beep beep

now I have need of another bracket

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Use a hosting site.

12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

1991 Yamaha XJ 900f Motorcycle.jpg
    Got paint and started painting the frame. There was a bit of surface rust on the frame and I wanted to clean it all up and protect the steel from corrosion so I will fix everything that needs done and hopefully have the bike back on the road next summer.

13. Jetfixer

So bike has been hard to start cold , runs great once it starts . So I pulled carbs this evening , pulled float bowls were spotless , the jet for the enrichment well in the float bowl ,spraying cleaner was not plugged but could be better , soaking in MEK right now . Going to soak over night will see how this goes.

14. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Should have mailed them to me. I could have popped them out with the TIG.

15. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Soaked the repaired OE seat cover down with Armor All and stuffed it into a trash bag. Hopefully a few days soaking will soften it all up well. It's pliable but some of the foam and plastic beading needs some re-oiling. If that doesn't work well I'm going to spray it down with fluid film and see if that works better being stickier.

16. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

First week back on the job after a two week vacation with the family. Weather was good, which cause me to feel guilty about slacking on my bike. So, took half a day off and finally got my engine out of the frame. Did some other stuff, too. Pics and more info in my build thread. Just felt good to get started again.
    Got a link for that (both the rebuild kit and the ATM-LP)? :)

17. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

Rode home in the rain from work. Now works almost over again, 0% chance of rain! Oil change , gear oil change, new starter relay and testing ignition coils . Carbs need cleaned but honestly, I'm nervous. And measure shim clearance first? What if I lose a bunch of ride time:) kinda joking

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes shims should be done before you start to fine tune the rest of it.

Stephen Downey likes this.
  19. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

I ended up going with inline ATM for now. Just wanted to get something functional while I do assembly and testing. I'm still looking for suitable low-profile sockets to rebuild one of the spare OE fuse boxes with. Hoping to put kits together for people to rebuild theirs with (and offer rebuild service).

The piston kit is from Power House UK. I ordered mine through eBay here in the US. Received it in about a week via Royal Mail. The pistons are OE quality stainless, great finish and fit and the kit was top quality too. If they had included a pair of XL nitrile gloves I could have done a complete rebuild sitting by the mailbox. :D

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/Powerho...6835017&_sid=1008591237&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

20. Jetfixer

So Monday I pulled the carbs ,soaked float bowls , the jets for the fuel enrichment were slightly plugged , bikes has been hard to start from cold. Well put carbs back on , since it has been hot a hades outside only took 2 days to reinstall airbox boots , sweat pouring down my face and some ares I won't mention, I can report success. I was happy bowls were spotless been 3 years since I rebuilt carbs .