1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ600/FJ600 Custom Bike Build with Microsquirt

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Jonathan Calkins, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Jonathan Calkins

Jonathan Calkins Member

Attempting to get the engine to run. Trigger wheel is welded and bolted on, and I am messing with the timing on TunerStudio. Using "fixed timing" in order to get the engine idling, but all it does is just spit and sputter, and does not want to start. Trial and error.

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

how many degrees + or - are you trying? i have no idea what it should be

3. Jonathan Calkins

Jonathan Calkins Member

Trying every degree timing in 1 degree increments. I checked it with the timing light, but I'm going to go back and double check everything. Spark plug gaps, wiring, the tune, the whole works, in an effort to see if I can find an issue.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i guess you've seen this
    [​IMG]
    shouldn't be far from 10 btdc

Jonathan Calkins likes this.
  5. Jonathan Calkins

Jonathan Calkins Member

I actually haven't, thanks! I get the most activity from the motor at 10 btdc, so that makes sense. Must be some other error of mine that is causing it to not start.

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

just a thought, even a fi engine needs a very rich mixture to start and run while cold. is there anything in your setup to do that?
    don't overlook the old ways, cover the air intakes with something for a second or two while cranking, and see what that does.

7. Jonathan Calkins

Jonathan Calkins Member

Agreed! I've tried drowning it in fuel, leaning it out, starter fluid, covering the intakes, all the little tricks (that I know of) to try to get it to go. I put the carburetors back on to eliminate some variables, but I still haven't had any luck.

So I think it's an error of mine, somewhere. I'll be spending the next few weeks going through everything again and see if I can find any issues.

8. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Many moon ago, when I was 19-20 (1985) I had of these motors (well a 550) an it was sometimes a bitch to start. I knew nothing then and not much more now. But! I rebuilt the top end of my(new-to-me) 600 with correct shims and it starts on the button. It's been said 10000s of times but I do think engines these are susceptible to poor valve adjustments..

9. Jonathan Calkins

Jonathan Calkins Member

Thanks, I'll definitely have to pull the valve cover off and check that out.

10. Shaynus

Shaynus Member

Any progress or updates to report on this?

11. Jonathan Calkins

Jonathan Calkins Member

Nothing new to report. Other than I have moved the bike into a friend's heated 2 stall garage for the winter to continue working on it.
    Since Thanksgiving, I have been helping a friend of mine build a camper topper for his pickup before he heads out on his extended rock climbing tour around the U.S.
    11898.jpeg 12023.jpeg Here's something to look at.

I am in Maryland for the hollidays, but when I return back to North Dakota, I will resume working on the FJ. Damn thing still doesn't want to idle or run. Trial and error.

I will be bringing the bike over to a friend's place to get some help on tuning the microsquirt. He knows mega/micro squirt like the back of his hand, and although I would like to figure it out on my own, I'm really stuck. No sense on beating the dead horse, might as well bring out the defibrillator and try to get a pulse.

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

13. Shaynus

Shaynus Member

Doing things for friends??
    Get your priorities right man!
    You have total strangers across the globe waiting on your results!
    ;)
    Only joking!
    Good luck with it when you get to it - there never seems to be enough hours in the day / days in the week sometimes

14. Jonathan Calkins

Jonathan Calkins Member

Looks like a great project! Will be good to see his get completed, looks like he really knows his stuff. There needs to be more successful builds. Too many people have quit when they had starting issues.

There are a few things that I will be refining on my project once I get it running and a couple thousand miles on it.

15. Jonathan Calkins

Jonathan Calkins Member

You know it! It's taxing helping others, but it has to be done for good friends.

Don't worry, I won't be giving up on this bike. Little by little, it will get done.

16. Jonathan Calkins

Jonathan Calkins Member

Little update. I ghosted for a while, but have no fear, I will not let this die. I have been very busy with school and work, so progress has been slow. A friend of mine who is knowlegable in megasquirt came to help get it fired up since I was having issues getting the correct timing. I fixed my trigger wheel, and got it to time properly.

I ended up pulling on the fuel line too hard to get the line on to the fuel rail, and I ended up breaking the outlet on the fuel pump. I'm going to order a different pump that needs a fuel pressure regulator and a return to the tank, instead of the Honda Rincon atv fuel pump, which has an internal regulator, but a plastic outlet.

I'll get the pump and regulator, make new brackets, and see if I can get the damn thing to fire off.

17. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You may not have seen this while you've been away. Worth the read, and may be of some help/ interest.

XJ750E EFI project

18. Jonathan Calkins

Jonathan Calkins Member

School and work really gets in the way of progress, but I have a new fuel rail from a 07 R6r that will need to be modified a bit to fit on the fz6 throttle bodies, I just received the new FPR, and fuel pump as well. I made some design changes on the orientation of the throttle bodies, I'll get pictures of that soon, and it'll be clear on why I switched to a different rail.

I designed some new intake flanges, and I am planning on having those being 3D printed. Making friends with the mechanical engineers at school so I can use the 3D printer for free (haha). Might as well get my use out of the tuition somehow.

In typical me fashion, I procrastinate, and jump to different projects too often. Recently bought a 1971 RT1, and have been rebuilding that and I put the poor FJ on the back burner this year. It's winter again, so progress will be slow, but I moved into a new place with a better garage, so I'll be able to make a little progress on it this winter. I'll be done with college in May, finally, so that is #1 priority, but as I have time, I'll keep plucking away on the FJ. I will not let it die.

19. Jonathan Calkins

Jonathan Calkins Member

Here is something to look at, even though it's just digital. I have been getting a ton of questions about the intake manifold, so I figured I should post some information about them.

Below are the flanges that I am going to be printing. 5 degree tilt and a 2 or 5mm(I can't remember exactly) shift up to allow the R6r fuel rail to clear the starter. Should allow enough room for the air filters, and still look normal on the bike, without them looking set at too much of an angle. I'll prototype fitment in PLA, I expect them to fit perfectly, because it is modeled after the steel ones I made, with the shift and tilt revision. After prototype fitment, I'll print in some sort of Poly, Nylon or ABS. The sharp corner connecting the flanges isn't ideal, but I was unable to get it looking like I wanted to, not sure if it was a AutoCAD problem, or operator problem. I'll assume the later, but it does not support that much weight. So, once I get it on the road, we'll know for sure won't we.

Here are the thumbnails, you should be able to click on them.

2017-11-08 (1).png 2017-11-08 (3).png 2017-11-08 (4).png 2017-11-08 (7).png 2017-11-08 (9).png 2017-11-08 (8).png 2017-11-08 (10).png 2017-11-08 (11).png

The files including .dwg, .dxf, .stl, are available for "strongly encouraged free will donation", although keep in mind, at this moment 11/8/17, I recommend obtaining these once I get it on the road, after putting some actual miles on it, but I can reduce the cost since they are prototypes at the moment. Send me a message or email me at jonathan.calkins@outlook.com. (I am NOT trying to advertise on this forum. But, I spent hours upon hours, literally days on these, making them damn-near perfect, so that's why I am not particularly interested in sending them for free.)

That being said, I am more than willing to help anyone out with their project and conversion, so ask any questions, I'll be more than happy to help/answer. As soon as these are printed, and I get the microsquirt software and ignition timing figured out, these are drawn to be very durable, and I will not hesitate to slap these on the bike and hit the road.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  20. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

how ya going to keep them from melting?