1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 xj650 Shifting fork or clutch issue.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dstrong77, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Dstrong77

Dstrong77 Member

New to xjs. have an 81xj650. it has after market forward controls. I am having issues shifting from 1 to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Sometimes it shifts fine and some times I need to click it up 3 or 4 times to get to engage. it occasionaly falls out of gear but it is steadily getting worse with shifting up through the gears. my buddy thinks it might be a bent shifting fork. another buddy is suggesting i change the friction plates. any ideas on how to test if its one or the other. ive been through some of the threads and know some people have issues somewhat similar. just not sure where to start.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

First verify that the shift linkage isn't binding or sloppy.

Then:

Check that the clutch cable is adjusted so that there is no slack at the clutch arm, and there is no more than 3mm of slack at the lever.

Then:

Drain the oil. Pull the shift cover from the engine. Inspect the springs.

Then:

Stop listening to friends. Inspect before jumping to conclusions.

3. Dstrong77

Dstrong77 Member

Thanks will check all those things. Both are auto mechanics with no experience with this bike. Figured I would check here first. Thanks agaiu

4. k-moe

The no experience with bikes is the important part. I've turned wrenches for decades (professional and hobby), but have no business advising someone about how to service their airplane since I've never worked on one.

5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Wings on the sides? Check! Tail in the back? Check! Wheels (or skis) on the bottom? Check! I'm an airplane guru!
    (Disclaimer: Please see text below MattiThunder's name for actual guru status)

Stumplifter likes this.
  6. Dstrong77

Dstrong77 Member

Understood. both have bikes just not this bike. one has a vmax and the other hd.

7. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

HD owners take theirs to the dealer to have the oil changed . . . . . :rolleyes:

Ok that was wrong.
    But I seriously do know One Harley guy who doesn't change his own oil, he takes it to the dealer.

Dstrong77- here's my abbreviated schpiel . . . . .
    I came here knowing motorcycles had two wheels, that was it. Through the caring and sharing in this community (and a whole lot of reading!) I am now a halfway decent 81 XJ650 Maxim mechanic. Stay here, ask questions, ask more questions if the answers don't make sense and soon you will be amazing yourself, your friends and maybe even your neighbors with the things YOU can do!

Dstrong77 likes this.
  8. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

What kind of oil are you using?

9. Dstrong77

Dstrong77 Member

10-40 castrol I think. definitely 10-40. dont recall brand.

10. k-moe

JASO MA compliant?

Not that it matters, because over-slippery oil won't cause the problem you're having.

Dstrong77 likes this.
  11. Dstrong77

Dstrong77 Member

For sure. I did get through a carb rebuild by myself. it went pretty well. I love this forum. i dont know anyone that has much experience with this bike so I always read through the threads. I am on the fence of getting a new motor to change out with mine. If it needed it. I definitely am intimidated by splitting the cases if it does turn out to be the shifting fork. I just want to eliminate all other possibilities first.

12. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Well I am a 30 year licensed aircraft mechanic ...but agree with the posts ...ts first I recommend Valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil ..Shell rotella is another...DO NOT use synthetic oil period....clutch problems..starter clutch will possibly follow.

Dstrong77 likes this.
  13. Dstrong77

Dstrong77 Member

It was I have it draining as we speak. gonna inspect the springs in the clutch basket. i will be sure to have compliant oil back in it.